HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yzUSMCf

Is the stock front brake line on a 14 yz450f stainless steel?

9 posts in this topic

Looking at getting a 270 front brake kit for the bike wondering if I should get a stainless front brake line aswell unless it has one from the factory? Can't tell if it just has a rubber tube around it or if is just ruber hose. Thanks!

OEM hoses are multi-layer plastics and high strength fiber weave, and when they're good shape, they work fine.  A stainless line will give a little more "solid" feel, but isn't absolutely required.

1 person likes this

The OEM lines are worthless.  If you're hard on brakes and they expand once, they're basically done and they'll never have a good positive feel again.  Mine had expansion you could feel after about 12 hours.

Looking at getting a 270 front brake kit for the bike wondering if I should get a stainless front brake line aswell unless it has one from the factory? Can't tell if it just has a rubber tube around it or if is just ruber hose. Thanks!

The GYTR stainless line improves feel slightly, biggest difference by far will be the larger rotor. 

Thanks for the replys! I just figure if I put a big brake kit might aswell go the whole 9 yards.

Should I get new pads too? My current pads are in great shape. And if yes should I stick with oem?

I have an extra Brembo MC I may throw on just to try out.  Would love for it to have that super firm KTM feel.

I recall reading that the older (but heavier) YZF calipers were supposed to be stronger?  Don't know if it was a stiffness thing or different piston area.

Not sure on the caliper, though I know the whole front brake system is overall smaller from '08 on.

If the piston area is larger, then it will increase the output pressure at the pads, but I would expect some "softening" of the feel as a penalty for the increased "leverage".

I have an extra Brembo MC I may throw on just to try out. Would love for it to have that super firm KTM feel.

I recall reading that the older (but heavier) YZF calipers were supposed to be stronger? Don't know if it was a stiffness thing or different piston area.

didn't justin Breton when he was with yamaha run a older yzf caliper and master cylnders set up?