Clutch not so wet

WR450 - 2005

My clutch gave out, it seemed to have overheated, a lot of smoke when I took it apart.  I took it apart without draining the oil and only a little bit of oil came out when I opened the clutch cover.  My buddy claims it should have been full of Oil.  The owners manual says to drain the oil first before changing the clutch, so there is every indication there should have been a lot of oil in there, the clutch was bearly wet of oil when I took it out.  I did check the oil level by running for a mintue and check the stick, it was at 75% full.   The owners manual doesn't indicate how much oil should be there, the instructions are to drain it before opening up the clutch.

I need your advise ...   maybe I have a plugged line ?

Edited by flipperz

WR450 - 2005

My clutch gave out, it seemed to have overheated, a lot of smoke when I took it apart.  I took it apart without draining the oil and only a little bit of oil came out when I opened the clutch cover.  My buddy claims it should have been full of Oil.  The owners manual says to drain the oil first before changing the clutch, so there is every indication there should have been a lot of oil in there, the clutch was bearly wet of oil when I took it out.  I did check the oil level by running for a mintue and check the stick, it was at 75% full.   The owners manual doesn't indicate how much oil should be there, the instructions are to drain it before opening up the clutch.

I need your advise ...   maybe I have a plugged line ?

Don't think so. I have the 07-11 models and you can change a clutch and not drain the oil on the side stand. Normal.

My buddy has KTM anyway, can't trust em... :rolleyes:    Great, I will go with that then, thanks !

The bike is a dry sump oiling system.  There is very little oil running around in the crankcases while operating, since it's picked up and sent back to the tank in your frame faster than it gets there.  The clutch itself is directly pressure oiled through the center of the main shaft, but that oil is metered by the fit of the long inner push rod, so the assembly generally doesn't look very wet when you open it up.

On the steel frame models such as yours, oil will migrate down to the sump over a few days time due to the effect of gravity by leaking out around the oil pump shaft.  If you had let it sit all week before working on it, you would have seen something different.