HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JustG

Oil Leaking, help on changing seal

3 posts in this topic

Just ordered parts to replace seal, colar and o ring on the countershaft behind the sprocket. Shows the oring is behind the bearing. Is the bearing pressed in? I really don't want to split case. Please any insight on the subject matter...this will be my first attempt

Bike is an 09 wr450

Thank you

The o-ring is on the ID of the collar

To change it

Take sprocket off

Lever out the Oil seal, by inserting a small screw driver between the OD of the seal and the recess in the cranckcase

Pull the collar off using small vice grips or similar

Fit the O-ring to the new collar and push it onto the shaft (use grease to aid assembly)

Fit the Oil seal (grease the lips of the seal, and the od of the seal to aid assembly)

Do not fit the oil seal then fit the collar as there is a risk of damaging the oil seal from the sharp edge on the collar as it goes in, and the new seal will leak

The bearing is fitted from the inside - if you need to change this then the cases need to be split

Edited by GuyGraham

Hm on the diagram we were looking at when I put in parts order, it showed the o ring behind the bearing....

Thank you for reply