HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jcm3

2014 YZ450 - Tried MXA settings, front end feels a lot looser, looking for input

12 posts in this topic

I recently bought a lightly used 2014 YZ450.  I tried the MXA settings after riding it once or twice with the settings he had on it, not sure yet how I like it yet.  When I bought my bike, the guy I bought it from has a son that is a national level guy and he said that his son helped him set it up.  He's about 185, and seemed similar in speed on the tracks that we were riding at.  I'm not sure if I like it better yet, but I did notice that when I went from the settings that he had on it (he said Enzo did the suspension, but I don't see an Enzo sticker on the forks and he doesn't know exactly what Enzo did) to the MXA settings, the front end seemed to get a lot looser going into turns.

Here's the MXA settings compared to what he had on it (x).  I did ride it a few times with his settings, and it didn't seem to bad.  I don't really remember the loose feeling in front, and I do remember it settling into ruts pretty well.  I'm trying to learn more about suspension, and have never been one to do a lot of adjustments mainly because of ignorance on exactly what the changes do.  ;)

I'm 195-ish without gear, and am a novice-level track guy who rides tracks like Cahuilla Creek and Milestone.

Forks:

Oil height - no idea what is in there now

Compression - 11 (8)

Rebound - 8 (13)

Fork height - looks flush, but the bike has Applied triple clamps on it

Shock:

Race sag - 105mm

HSC - 2 (1 1/2)

LSC - 9 (6)

Rebound - 9 (16)

Seems like the previous owner had it stiffer, with less rebound.  May go back to his settings again and try them back to back and see how it feels. 

Any input on the settings, either before or after?  Thanks for any input.  :thumbsup:

The thing is that in order for the suspension settings one rider uses to be transferable to another, the internal fork setup has to be the same.  Since yours is said to be modified, the settings used on the stock fork don't really apply too directly.

The thing is that in order for the suspension settings one rider uses to be transferable to another, the internal fork setup has to be the same.  Since yours is said to be modified, the settings used on the stock fork don't really apply too directly.

That's kind of what I was worried about.  :banghead:   He said he's not exactly sure what was done and I don't even know if the fronts was done at all, although I'd hope so. 

I may have to get them redone just so that I know where they are.

Enzo should have a record of it.

I called them, but no record.  His son is a national level rider (not sure if he's ever qualified for one, but races them), so it could have been off the books in that he had someone he knows do it but there wasn't a record in the typical sense. 

If it was Enzo, they should, yes. 

But, try dealing with it based on how it behaves now.  Correct one thing at a time and observe the effect.  Make changes first in larger increments to better see the change, then dial in. 

Some general tuning basics: http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_14290329110588&key=fd4d0c8927dbf2331e83bbda32ac7c21&libId=i8hlackw010004is000DAqq43z4kuhjf3&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thumpertalk.com%2Ftopic%2F378677-common-threads-look-here-1st-mods-maintenance-common-issues-and-faqs%2F&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fmotoman393.thumpertalk.com%2Ftech%2Fsuspension.html&title=Common%20Threads%3A%20Look%20here%201st!%20Mods%2C%20Maintenance%2C%20Common%20Issues%20and%20FAQ%27s%20-%20YZ%20400%2F426%2F450%20-%20ThumperTalk&txt=Basic%20Suspension%20Setup%20Guide

Understood, I'll check out that link.  Edit:  Cool info.  Some of it seems counterintuitive, but that confirms my ignorance of these things.  I would have gone the opposite on this one based on my misunderstanding, assuming there was already too much rebound:  Find a jump that tends to launch the motorcycle out. The rear end should absorb and then smoothly lift the motorcycle into the air. If the rear end bounces up, add rebound. (Turn clicker in)

Edited by jcm3

I think I'm going to go back to what the previous owner had and fine tune from there.  Our weight and skill seems close, and he had some help in setting it up.  :ride:  The settings are so different, and I don't remember the front end feeling this sketchy before.

Edited by jcm3

Turns out I was right about the forks.  :( Forks are stock, and rear is done.  Since I don't know how the rear was done or what oil levels the forks have in them I'm going to take the suspension down to Enzo and have them revalve front and rear.  The price isn't too bad, $180 for each end. 

If it was stock I'd probably leave it for now, but as it stands it's valved at one end and I don't know how.  I'd rather have it done fresh and know where I stand.

Just dropped the suspension off at Enzo yesterday.  I'm glad I decided to do that.  The guy there recommended springs at my weight (which I was hoping I wouldn't need), and as soon as he took a look at my shock he noticed that it was one softer than stock. 

So, I probably have stock forks with stock springs (remains to be seen), with an Enzo-valved shock and a softer spring.  That might explain why I was feeling a lot of looseness in the front end (probably more than normal), particularly on this downhill rough/loose section where I was standing going into a turn.  :banghead:   It probably had a little bit of a chopper effect.

One of the reasons I was so excited about this bike was the ad said it had Enzo suspension.  Well, half of it, darn it.  Oh well, it will be good when I get it back.

And, made up for you, not the other guy. 

Yes sir.

As a side note, I love MXA's test but very few things they said to correct on the 13 model worked for me either.