change tranny gears to make yz426 enduro friendly

Very interesting tread,

My 00 426 engine is already on the workbench, head and cylinder removed, waiting to have the cases split in order to swap the 5th gear set from WR's one

So let me know...will I be able to use only the 5th gear set from a WR??

The 5th gear wheel is the dog gear for the nearby 1rst and 3rd gear wheel

The 5th gear pinion isn't a dog gear but must match the nearby dog gear 3rd gear pinion

My thought is that all YZ/WR dog gear have the dog at the very same place (from centerline) and of the very same dimension too. That made them interchangeable.

If not it will be simply impossible to do a single gear swap, we'll need a complete gearset swap.....every gearset you'll want to change, you'll end with a pinion or a wheel that need to match his nearby dog gear

look there it's a 2000 WR400 trans

http://216.37.204.203/Yamaha_OEM/YamahaDB.asp?Type=13&A=196&B=19

Let us know how it'll turn out Scotti

YZ400court, that is good to know before I pull my engine apart, I guess I will need to get 3rd also. I have a 00 426 so it is probably the same. Yamaha told me they would interchange but must have meant that the shaft splines were the same and thought I was going to replace all the gears. thanks mike

So whats the final answer? can you change out first,fourth and fith or just fourth and fith. Would it be too big of a jump to just change fith, or would it be best to just change first and the sprockets? I think I've found a 98 wr400 trany from a blown bike for a couple hundred bucks, tring to figure out what my best options are.

[ February 19, 2002: Message edited by: brockr ]

It seems to me that if you only change a couple gears, you'd really screw things up. Wouldn't you end up with gearing "holes"?

Why wouldn't you want to change them all?

Mr T

Originally posted by Mr Toyz:

Why wouldn't you want to change them all?

Mr T

Money.

If you're worried about money, why not buy a WR and put a YZ tank/seat, cut the grey wire, remove the throttle stop and be happy with the money in your pocket. Or buy some hotcams with the extra money? Tranny work is EXPENSIVE and has to be EXACT.

I suppose it is because I own the YZ. I thought I had the solution...I bought a 520 EXC about 8 months ago (just after I blew up my YZ). At some point I realized I owed $7000 to the bank (at 18%), had spent $1000 on cool parts, and still needed to spend $600 on the suspension to get it close to the YZ suspension. I figured the $600 + another $600 would be better spent rebuilding my YZ, so I sold the KTM. I really liked the Wide ratio trans in the KTM so I thought I'd try it in the YZ. I needed to replace some gears with pretty bad wear on them anyway.

Originally posted by brockr:

So whats the final answer? can you change out first,fourth and fith or just fourth and fith. Would it be too big of a jump to just change fith, or would it be best to just change first and the sprockets? I think I've found a 98 wr400 trany from a blown bike for a couple hundred bucks, tring to figure out what my best options are.

[ February 19, 2002: Message edited by: brockr ]

What about the rest of the blown up bike. I have had so much fun rebuilding my YZ, I'm itchin to find a blown up one I can buy to rebuild and sell.

The whole bike sold yesterday before I could buy it. $800.00 Snooze ya lose!

I understand that 3rd and 4th gearing in yz

is same as wr. 4th to 5th step is not a problem

wether you go yz or wr 5th. wr 5th is a least 8

miles an hour faster than yz. I am most concerned

with 1st gearing for tight tech riding. I have found most beleive jump from wr 1st to yz 2 to

wide. I am changing 1,2and 5th, gearing should be identical to wr, only diff. is 19" rear wheel.

Winder till she stinks.

Scotti, PLEASE keep us updated!

Now that you mention it, I believe I've heard the same thing about 3rd and 4th gear.

Mr T

on a 00 426 3rd gear is very close the same ratio but 4th is not, mike

I just got back from a 3 day Baja ride with 18 guys.Have been doing for the last 10 years on an XR-600 and really loved my 00 426. But I was geared 15/46 and first was pretty tall up near Tecate and The XR-650s and KTM 520-EXCs had 15-20 MPH on me on top. Not usually a problem butit was going across Laguna Diablo and the pavement from Valle de Trinidad.

At first I thought I could live with just an "over-drive" fifth for the fast sections but it rained Sunday night and with all the good traction I don't think I want a big jump to fifth.

Seems everybody has hearsay rumors but never heard from someone who has done the swap.

Spanky: Why don't you just pull the tranny out of the WR in your garage and throw it in the new machine. Let the smuck with the old WR deal with the problem. Then the kid can ride WFO all day long with a big grin.

It's more than rumors Devo....

We're all waiting for Scotti, he's doing the 1rst, 2nd and 5th gears swap this weekend

Bid now....

My guess is that he'll do it successfully

c'mon Scotti....let us know...the drum still rumbling......lol

Seems everybody has hearsay rumors but never heard from someone who has done the swap.[/QB]

Scotti,

is it done now?

how does it turn out?? all's in good fit?

the drum still rumbling....

Dan