Chain and Sprocket

Hi everyone from the UP of Michigan!!! I have a 04 wr450f and I was wondering what preferences you have on chains and sprockets! Steel or aluminum, sizes and what not. I know stock is a 520 chain and the length is 114, and the front sprocket is 14 tooth and the back is 50 tooth. Brand preferences or didn't sizes for trail riding! Thanks!!

I'm a big fan of steel sprockets.  I had an aluminum sprocket for a bit, and it seemed to wear extremely fast, probably only 30% of the lifespan of a steel sprocket.  I don't know if it was due to all the sand in Michigan, or just the way I ride (I tend to run low RPMs and torque through things) but I went back to steel.

• Like 1

Does everyone use an O-ring 520?

So long as you dont mind buying a new one every couple months, I'd bet a non-O Ring 520 would sap less power from the engine

Has anyone tries non- O Ring and seen a worthwhile power increase?

Does everyone use an O-ring 520?

So long as you dont mind buying a new one every couple months, I'd bet a non-O Ring 520 would sap less power from the engine

Has anyone tries non- O Ring and seen a worthwhile power increase?

X rings do not rob much power. If you had a road race bike I could see using a non o-ring chain.