HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The BeardedPica

What's the best sprocket combo?

12 posts in this topic

As far as brands go I would always buy dirt tricks ironman or MSR ironman sprockets(they are the same product) MSR just puts their label on it because dirt tricks is small and not well known. As far as gearing, on my crf450r it is 13/48 stock I run 13/50 for large mx tracks I may switch to a 51 rear next season. Better acceleration with the larger rear. I also run a DID 520ERT2 Chain.

1 person likes this

What does gearing on your CRF have to do with a YZ450?

I have a 2006 yz450f, what combos would you recommend for top speed or for acceleration ?

Stock gearing (13/49) is pretty good all-around.  You do understand that you asked for two different kinds of gearing, right?  Where and what kind of riding do you do?

What does gearing on your CRF have to do with a YZ450?

Stock gearing (13/49) is pretty good all-around. You do understand that you asked for two different kinds of gearing, right? Where and what kind of riding do you do?

Yes I do realize I asked for two opinions! I ride trails only with not to many turns , mostly straightaways . My bike doesn't like to go slow in first gear that's for sure , not sure if changing sprocket would help that or not, it get really jerky if I'm trying to go slow in 1st gear!

Yes I do realize I asked for two opinions! I ride trails only with not to many turns , mostly straightaways . My bike doesn't like to go slow in first gear that's for sure , not sure if changing sprocket would help that or not, it get really jerky if I'm trying to go slow in 1st gear!

I have the same bike its a motocross bike that isn't meant to go slow sprockets might help a little but most likely gonna have to change gearing ...or just learn to hold it wide open

I have the same bike its a motocross bike that isn't meant to go slow sprockets might help a little but most likely gonna have to change gearing ...or just learn to hold it wide open

Yeah I know it's an mx bike , I am rarely in 1st gear when I ride on the trail, but I am when I'm going threw town back to my house ! I got my bike for $1500 so I really can't complain , I know it's not ideal for trail but for the year and price I couldn't pass it up! ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1428519911.700257.jpg

Bear in mind that changing the overall gear ratio will do more to cut down top speed that it will to increase the ease of crawling at low speed.  Also, that your engine really doesn't want to carry any load at much less than 3000 RPM. It's a high-strung race engine.  For instance, 3000 RPM with stock gearing is roughly 12 MPH.  Dropping one tooth at the front takes that down only to 11 MPH, while it changes the road speed at 8000 RPM in 5th from about 68 MPH to closer to 61 MPH.

Also, gearing lower will make it act jerkier in low as you get on/off the gas.

2 people like this

You stole it. Paid twice that for mine and it has been ridden pretty hard.

1 person likes this

Nice bike you got a steal on that one here's my bike

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1428560846.366195.jpg

Here it is when I bought it this past winter ! Yeah I did steal it! I was so amped up ! The guy was anal about taking care of the engine so I really got lucky!