HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
newthumper05

05 WR went 10yrs and 4000 single tarck miles

3 posts in this topic

She finally lost compession need new piston and 5th gear, both gears and shift forks.

2 people like this

I've posted these stats before, for my 2001 426, which has seen 99.9% singletrack use.  Yamaha 's are definitely reliable.

At about 8k singletrack miles (500ish hours), I had the engine apart and decided to check and replace a few things after turning the bike into a submarine one sunny afternoon after which it wouldn't start.  I already knew and had planned on new valve stem seals as I had a bit of oil seeping by.  I didn't need rings but I decided to change them anyway since I had already had the bike apart and had purchased the rings.  Cam chain just because.  It was worn, but not unacceptably so.  At 15k miles (1000ish hours), I finally lost compression due to a worn center intake valve (never needed shimming until it let go) and finally installed new valves.  All internal bearings and such are still in great condition.  Cam chain #2 is still acceptable.  Still on the original clutch.

Do I want a new bike, of course.  According to the formula to determine the optimum number of biked to own:  Optimum number of bikes = n+1, where n = number of current bikes.  Do I need a new bike, NO.  Will a new bike be as trustworthy...probably not.  I love the big ole blue beast.

Edited by Pooley
2 people like this