15 YZ450F vs 12 CRF450R - which to buy?

Help me make my decision.  Here is some basic info:

- I'm 39, 6'2", 235#, ride tracks only, B rider, I've only had Hondas for last 3 bikes '02, '04, '06 CRF450r

- The '15 YZ450F is $7590 + tax and is brand new

- The '12 CRF450R is $4000, has a new Rekluse clutch, only 60 hours on it, FC suspension set for my weight already

This is the YZ450F forum, so sell me on why I should get it.  I think I want to, but just a little unsure because I've never had a Yamaha.

Help me make my decision.  Here is some basic info:

- I'm 39, 6'2", 235#, ride tracks only, B rider, I've only had Hondas for last 3 bikes '02, '04, '06 CRF450r

- The '15 YZ450F is $7590 + tax and is brand new

- The '12 CRF450R is $4000, has a new Rekluse clutch, only 60 hours on it, FC suspension set for my weight already

This is the YZ450F forum, so sell me on why I should get it.  I think I want to, but just a little unsure because I've never had a Yamaha.

Wow, big cost difference is the first thing I'd say.  The new bike will cost you $8k+ OTD, and that's bone stock with no suspension done.  I'm a Yamaha guy, but it's hard to justify a bike that costs 2x more in your situation.

I know this doesn't help you, but just thinking out loud.  ;)

To me to be honest, 60 hours isnt "just" to me. 15 is low to me, thats well used in my opinion, i don't trust people t all with riding or maintaining a machine properly. My suggestion is a good deal on a left over.

The YZ450F is pretty much good to go out of the box.

CRF needs to have the handling addressed, suspension addressed, power addressed, clutch addressed, etc etc etc.  

I looked at those '09-'12 CRF's good and hard before going with a new YZF.  Too much money for too much of a project.

The YZ450F is pretty much good to go out of the box.

CRF needs to have the handling addressed, suspension addressed, power addressed, clutch addressed, etc etc etc.  

I looked at those '09-'12 CRF's good and hard before going with a new YZF.  Too much money for too much of a project.

I agree the YZ450F will be good to go, except maybe stiffer springs since I'm a big guy.

The particular CRF has Pro Circuit suspension done, Rekluse clutch, and full Yoshi exhaust.

Look...I've historically been a Honda guy and something keeps saying to get a new YZ450F.

I agree the YZ450F will be good to go, except maybe stiffer springs since I'm a big guy.

The particular CRF has Pro Circuit suspension done, Rekluse clutch, and full Yoshi exhaust.

Look...I've historically been a Honda guy and something keeps saying to get a new YZ450F.

The stock springs on the yz will prob be good for you. They are meant for a 200lbs rider I believe. I weigh 210 and got it re-valved and the things rides like a dream.

I rode my 15 YZ the first time without anything being done to the suspension. I went up two clicks front and rear and turned a bunch of laps and never once bottomed it. I'm 285 vet novice, so you can probably do fine with the stock springs for a while. The new yz is a pretty amazing bike all around. I would make the exact same purchase again if I had to. I loved my KX , but this bike is worlds better.

Those two bikes are completely different animals. That being said Honda is big where I live. Everybody I've let ride my 14 has either been humbled by the power or in love with it. The bigger guys really seem to like the extra hp and it just being a bigger bike than the Honda. I personally love the Yamaha and I'm only 5'11 160pounds.

This has nothing to do with brand but budget and what you want out of a bike. I have seen used 14 yzs in the 4500 range. Would you buy it over the Honda?

Get the Yamaha - they're barely broken in at 60 hours. I am a lifelong Honda rider, and made the switch to blue 4 years ago. There really is no comparison between the 14/15 Yamaha and the 09-12 Honda. The YZ450 is nearly ready to go out of the box, and the motor is unreal. Suspension is great as well. I can honestly say I will never go back to the dark side - the Hondas are not as reliable even though the magazines would have you believe otherwise. Yes, my brother's ATC 110 is still going strong, but Honda has strayed too far from what made them great.

Find a used or leftover 14 yz. You can easily transfer most of the 2015 updates to the 14 much cheeper than it would be to buy a new 2015.. I've ridden my 14 yz450f 450 and also a 15 yz450f . Biggest difference I noticed was a light throttle pull in the throttle grip and a firm seat. Not too much different not enough to buy a brand new 15 for 9k otd vs a leftover/used 14 for 4500-5500 get what I'm saying? If you buy the Yamaha you will not be disappointed. Period. Reliable AF my valves are still in spec at 45 hrs cams look like they just broke in and all I've had to do is oil changes and filter changes.. there's no comparison with that crf.. imo

Forget the CRF.  Buy the YZ and embrace the beast.

Well if your guts telling you to get the yz450f get it I have one with a fmf full exaust proper tune it will smoke a honda the suspension is better it's going to last you longer. It's a no brainier go yamaha you won't regret it.

Get the leftover 14 not much updates to the 15 and you can pick up a new one for 6k

I got 2012 crf450 and I love it and would never ride any other brand but in a strait up honest opinion just out of common sense. I'd go for the new yz. Because you know for a fact that there wasn't a previous owner that could have possibly messed something up in its history. So basically you give yourself a fresh plate to work with and adjust how YOU want and not what someone else wanted.

I have an appointment to see a '14 yz450f on Tuesday with 5.7 hours on it.  He's asking $5k, so if it is still there Tuesday then I am getting it.

Now that sounds like a deal.

I'm a Yamaha guy myself but I would go with the Honda at that price

The purchase price is never the total cost of ownership, which will almost always rise faster with the Honda than the YZ450F.

The purchase price is never the total cost of ownership, which will almost always rise faster with the Honda than the YZ450F.

Couldn't agree more the Honda's need a lot of money to be equal to the new Yamaha.