AC lighting question

Hi Everyone, 

I'm converting my yz426f for the street, doing the WR stator/flywheel swap. I want to keep it simple so I was planning on keeping the AC circuit. I've heard that AC will not run the flasher unit for the blinkers. I thought this would only be true if I was running LEDs, which I am not.

Will the AC system run the blinkers?  I appreciate the help.  -Jeff

I wanted to stay away from having a battery and stick with AC current. But if I still need DC to run the turn signal flasher and horn, do I need to float the ground on the stator too?

Or can I just ground the pink wire from the six point connector to use my YZ cdi and just use a rectifier to get DC?  Still trying to fully understand this, thanks again for any help.

Edited by jwoue92

I don't know about blinkers, but you can add a rectifier/regulator to create a DC sub circuit.  Remember to keep either the AC or DC side off of the chassis ground.

BTW, LED's will run on AC, but they'll flicker at low cyclic frequencies.  They're on when forward biased, off when reversed.

So if the tail light is LED and I'm running AC, do you think it'll flicker at idle?

It might, but I doubt it.  If you plug an LED into a wall socket, which cycles at 60Hz, you can "sort of" detect a flicker.  At 1500 RPM, your AC system should cycle a bit more than 75Hz, unless I'm missing something.

If you are using the YZF CDI, I believe you will NEED to float the ground on the stator.