New 2014 WR450F Owner

Hello all,

I'm new to TT and I'm new to the dirtbike world in general.  I've ridden street bikes all my life, but never owned a dirtbike until now.

I have a couple questions I'm hoping to get some answers to.

1.  Is AIS Removal kit not necessary on the 2014, or is it just not available yet?  The yamaha site does not list my model year:  https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/product/details/wr-ais-removal-kit?dealernumber=

2.  I weigh 265 lbs without gear on.  I've found racetech.com for potential suspension upgrades.  Are there other companies I should look to to change springs/suspension stuff?

3. My manual suggests changing the oil evey 600 miles or so.  The FAQ suggests after every ride.  Anyone have any issues with longer oil change intervals?  600 seems like a long time, but every ride seems excessive.  Thoughts?

Thank you very much!

Brian

1.  Not sure.  I dont think there is an AIS, but rather the ECU just needs replaced with a GYTR

2.  Depends.....   If you find a reputable shop local to you that is a plus for them helping you fully set up the suspension and making little tweaks.  If you understand suspension yourself shipping it out and having it done isnt bad

3.  Depends how you ride.  Easy trail riding, you are good for quite a bit of time (100 miles ish).  If you are racing, after every race.  Check your oil color after some easy trail riding, if it starts to turn brown then I would change then.  For me thats 50-100 miles of easy trail riding.  I change after every race.   This really is a personal preference.  To me color is a big indicator on when the oil starts to break down.

Welcome to the site. Use the Search button on the top right and search "This Forum" for each of your questions. There are 100's of post with these items.

No AIS

Search for suspension - I like mine, but I'm a bit lighter than you.

I change mine every 3-5 hours of trail riding. I could go longer, but it's only a quart of oil.

Welcome to the site. Use the Search button on the top right and search "This Forum" for each of your questions. There are 100's of post with these items.

No AIS

Search for suspension - I like mine, but I'm a bit lighter than you.

I change mine every 3-5 hours of trail riding. I could go longer, but it's only a quart of oil.

Thanks!  I was mostly interested in the AIS Removal.  I did find some info, but all of it pertained to earlier models, so I wasn't sure.  That's why I asked :)  The other stuff I did find info, but thought I'd throw it out there anyways.

I have new exhaust and competition ECU coming.  I am going to install the stuff, but pay a shop to tune it.  I'll see if they can do the suspension also.  If you put a computer in front of me, I will understand it.  Engines and mechanical things are a whole different story.  I know nothing about them.

Edited by ApexAZ

I work at a Yamaha shop, so setting the CO% was not a big deal. I ended up buying my own GYTR tuner to switch maps in the ecu though. It's fun to mess around with maps for different types of riding.

Do you guys that change the oil frequently also swap the filter, or filter every other time?

I change mine after every couple of rides (I trail ride only with this bike). I don't think I've went past 6 hours without changing it. I change my filter and o-rings every time. I DO clean and change my air filter every ride. Sometimes I change it during the ride depending on conditions.

The oil color is the deciding factor here, and yes I like to change the filter also.

I have a 2013 WR450- I changed to the comp ECU and bought the GYTR tuner also--it makes a huge difference and can tailor the power the way you want it. I also put on a LEXX muffler. The Comp cone that comes with it is loud and the quite tip is restrictive so I TIG welded a 1.5" ID 4140AL. (.060" wall) and made it a little longer (3/8") than stock--a little trick I found that will quieten it down some and not affect the performance. This bike is a rocket, the last bikes I had was a XR 600 and a 87 KTM EXC-26 yrs ago... and this bike has much better power than the XR.

At your weight you will need a 6.6kg spring, I weigh 250lbs myself---- the spring made a huge difference; the suspension is now incredible and hooks up. I didn't change the Fork springs; the front is a little stiff anyway. On a recent ride I hit some big jumps and nothing bottomed it just soaked up the impacts.

I did put a MT43 trials tire on the back....some may laugh at first(I did at first too).. but until you try one you cant believe how well it hooks up. I ride in the SE woods and mountains.