Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tl1ks

Newb with a 03 WR450

7 posts in this topic

Hey Guys..

welcome to me! I've been on TT for a while now, gathering crumbs here and there, and was looking for a wr400/426. but ended up with a 03 wr450!

So, I've read about the woodruf key, and some starter issues.. so if there's some good posts addressing most of this lemme know.

I saw the thread about the new bushing? does this achieve the slipper that's on the 04? I recently talked with the local Yamaha shop, and they told me there is a recall that should address all the problems?

Gracias in advance for the tips

josh

Buy a service manual and check the flywheel torque. I have not had a problem with mine. I did have to retorque the flywheel 3 times before it settled down. Many trail rides and races later. :)

Hey Bean, are you pulling the side case to retorque the flywheel? I need to check mine and that looks like the only way to do it.

Thanks,

Lowedog

Hey Bean, are you pulling the side case to retorque the flywheel? I need to check mine and that looks like the only way to do it.

I was told that you can put the bike in 5th gear and that will hold the crank enough to tighten the flywheel nut to spec. I can't do that because of the auto-clutch so I have to take the cover completely off. I guess it's just as well since I'll probably need to replace the woodruff key at the same time. :):D

I tighten it by putting the bike in fifth and jamming a 3/8" extension between the rear sprocket and the rear chain guide. Provides enough hold for 60 ft-lbs of torque needed. Note there was a miss print in earlier manuals on the torque. :)

Thanks guys.

I've been looking around on wr450.com, and getting some ideas. I'll definately be converting to the 04 setup, but will probably torque it down, and ride it for a little while before I do that. Gotta put on the pro tapers, Rad gaurds 1st.

josh