HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yzrider1023

Cam installation

8 posts in this topic

I was trying to install my cams the other day and the chain seemed to be really tight so are there any tricks to get them in my bike is a 2006 yz450f

Have you checked the obvious stuff? Like is the chain tensioner released/removed?

They can be tricky to put in sometimes. I always have to get it around the sprocket before setting it into the journals

The chain can sometimes drop off the bottom side of the crank sprocket so that there's an extra link drooping off under it instead of it laying against the sprocket all the way 'round.  You may have to pull the flywheel to straighten that out. 

Normally, you can't set both cams in the head and then run the chain over them,  First, loop the chain over the exhaust cam (or in the case of the '10 or later models, the intake cam, in front of the head) and set it in place with the timing marks on the crank and cam aligned and the slack pulled out of the chain on the front, between the crank and the cam.  Then, loop the chain over the intake (rear) cam with the cam up in the middle of the head as shown.  You can get very close to, if not exactly being timed right the first time by counting chain pins between the two "12:00 o'clock" marks on the cam when you preposition the cam this way.  Again, see the picture.  From this point, roll the cam sprocket counterclockwise as you move the camshaft back and down into its saddle. 

cams_zpsafb75590.jpg

1 person likes this

The chain can sometimes drop off the bottom side of the crank sprocket so that there's an extra link drooping off under it instead of it laying against the sprocket all the way 'round. You may have to pull the flywheel to straighten that out.

Normally, you can't set both cams in the head and then run the chain over them, First, loop the chain over the exhaust cam (or in the case of the '10 or later models, the intake cam, in front of the head) and set it in place with the timing marks on the crank and cam aligned and the slack pulled out of the chain on the front, between the crank and the cam. Then, loop the chain over the intake (rear) cam with the cam up in the middle of the head as shown. You can get very close to, if not exactly being timed right the first time by counting chain pins between the two "12:00 o'clock" marks on the cam when you preposition the cam this way. Again, see the picture. From this point, roll the cam sprocket counterclockwise as you move the camshaft back and down into its saddle.

cams_zpsafb75590.jpg

Thanks for the answer ..the cam chain did fall off of the sprocket but I got to back on without pulling the flywheel and the chain turns freely do you think I still have to pull it?

Not if you got it re-engaged correctly, no.  But you need to be sure, because it can sometimes allow the crank to turn smoothly by hand without a load on the chain, in spite of there being a link "looped under" at the bottom.  If you can get it assembled by the method illustrated, and end up with slack in the chain while the tensioner is removed or backed out, you should be OK.

Not if you got it re-engaged correctly, no. But you need to be sure, because it can sometimes allow the crank to turn smoothly by hand without a load on the chain, in spite of there being a link "looped under" at the bottom. If you can get it assembled by the method illustrated, and end up with slack in the chain while the tensioner is removed or backed out, you should be OK.

I don't have to much slack but I do have a little bit of slack I put it all together and had a bad head gasket so I will try to make sure now that its back apart again