Thermostat on a -12 WR

Hi all.

Now I've ridden my -12 WR a few times. Got it in november, so all my rides have been in -or near- freezing temps. The bike is a Euro spec with Yamaha Competition Kit monted. That consists of an alu YZ-style muffler and a header slightly bigger in bore (about 41mm od as opposed to stock 39mm od). ECU is stock.

Have bought the Diagnostic tool and CO is bumped up from 0 to 15. It really gets alot smoother in the woods at low revs after that. Starts a bit easier aswell. But, since I do alot of riding in cold weather and at higher speed, it is really overcooling more or less all the time.

Since I now have the Diagnostic tool, I don't have to guess anymore. So today I mounted the DiagTool on the handlebar and went for a ride. Here's the result.

Outside temp about 3 degC.

Cruising on paved road, about 85km/h:
- Left radiator blocked, 40degC
- Both rads unblocked, 30degC

Enduro riding, single track in woods, average speed about 25km/h:
- Left radiator blocked, 65degC
- Both rads unblocked, 50degC

That temp is not good for the engine. I guess it will affect engine lifespan. The normal car engine runs at about 90 to 100degC.

So, my solution is this; I bought a used KTM thermostat, and somehow I'm gonna put it on my bike. It's really tight for space, but hopefully it will work.

btw, isn't it possible to upload pics? Can I add pics from my Google account?

Edited by turbomart

btw, isn't it possible to upload pics? Can I add pics from my Google account?

Under the last post in any topic, you see a reply window.  Atthe lower right of that is a button labeled "More Reply Options".  Clicking that takes you to another page where you will find, top to bottom, a post preview, then the post authoring/editing window, and below that, a "choose files" button.  Clicking that opens a familiar navigation window that lets you pick files from your computer to add to your post.

You can also link to any place on the web where your pics might be as long as they are publicly viewable without a login, or embed a picture so hosted by pasting the URL in the window that appears when you click the image button (thrid button to the right of the numbered list button in the post editor).

The thermostat is a pretty good approach.  EFI YZ450F's have trouble with very cold weather fouling the oil with fuel because the fuel delivery never gets out of the cold compensation mode unless the radiators are partly blocked from air.   As far as engine longevity, anything warmer than 140 (60 C)  is OK.

Keeping track of temp while riding:DSC_1664.jpg

The pipe with the  hose is where  hot coolant exits the head. DSC_1678.jpg

Used KTM 450 EXC -05 thermostat.DSC_1696.jpg

Will it fit? DSC_1685.jpg

Update: I quite do not see how I can get this to work... I think I'll have to get another type of thermostat.

This is my -10 KTM300. DSC_1686.jpg

Would probably be a better fit. Got to see if I can get one of those.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

Now I've ridden my -12 WR a few times. Got it in november, so all my rides have been in -or near- freezing temps. The bike is a Euro spec with Yamaha Competition Kit monted. That consists of an alu YZ-style muffler and a header slightly bigger in bore (about 41mm od as opposed to stock 39mm od). ECU is stock.

Have bought the Diagnostic tool and CO is bumped up from 0 to 15. It really gets alot smoother in the woods at low revs after that. Starts a bit easier aswell. But, since I do alot of riding in cold weather and at higher speed, it is really overcooling more or less all the time.

Since I now have the Diagnostic tool, I don't have to guess anymore. So today I mounted the DiagTool on the handlebar and went for a ride. Here's the result.

Outside temp about 3 degC.

Cruising on paved road, about 85km/h:

- Left radiator blocked, 40degC

- Both rads unblocked, 30degC

Enduro riding, single track in woods, average speed about 25km/h:

- Left radiator blocked, 65degC

- Both rads unblocked, 50degC

And I always thought I was the only crazy one. 

In winter in Vienna, Austria my WR400F wouldn't reach decent op. temps on my commute to the office.

I could tell because w/o choke she would not run smoothly. I ended up blocking both radiators with cardboard, full height.

Then she still wouldn't boil but she'd run smootyly at least. ?

I'm very interested in your setup of that diagnostic tool.

- did you have to purchase that way overpriced "Diagnostic Tool Sub-lead" ?

- If not how did you connect the tool? which pin goes where?

- I was under the impression that the FI toll must never be activated when the engine is running, so how did you turn it into a real timer data display?

greets from Vienna

P.