HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bturner

Opinions on a Yamalink

3 posts in this topic

I've been researching lowering links lately for my 2009. There seems to be a lot of positive reviews & info out there. I found a guy w/ a used one for $100 that I'm purchasing this weekend. I was just curious to the guys that run them, how is it?

My bike is valved for the woods & sprung for my weight. I'm 200#, 5'10". I ride/race in the woods & I could stand for the rear end to loose an inch or so.

The rear spring is actually a little stiffer for my weight per the RT chart. I read that when you install a Yamalink you need to adjust the sag & get a 20% stiffer rear shock, so if that's correct, my coil will be perfect for it. I'll just need to adjust the sag.

With all that being said, did you guys notice the difference in cornering, handling & the front end feel? Does it feel to short or is an inch not that noticeable unless your putting your feet down on a steep rocky hill? Is there anything special I should about set up or riding style after I install it? Thanks for any feedback!

The Yamalink is a well made product.  The question centers not so much on whether it's a good link or a bad link, but on how the bike responds to the change in linkage geometry. 

Understand two important things; first that if you lower the back, you will upset the steering geometry in front unless the front is also lowered a like amount, and, that the linkage is designed to create a "rising rate" of shock compression.  That is, the shock is compressed progressively farther and faster for each successive inch of rear wheel travel. 

Altering the length of the connecting link changes the linkage rate.  Changing the rate is something that affects rear suspension behavior in ways that will only be apparent under more severe or extreme  circumstances, such as MX or other racing and higher speed riding.  It might never bother a recreational rider, but the '06-'09 YZF has usually turned out to work better with the stock linkage rates than with any of the linkages intended to modify rate.  For that reason, very few people even make links for the YZF for any reason other than lowering, and lowering will change the linkage rates.

Lowering the rear makes the steering head angle shallower, which makes the bike push more.  Not a good thing on a bike that already has a tendency to do that.  The fork can only be puled up in the clamps just so far to compensate.  You can run them up about 15-17mm without modifying anything, but that's about it.

The lowered bike will sit exactly like it does as far as peg and handlebar feel, but it should feel easier to bank in and out of turns with the lower CG. 

You might like it, you might not.