HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TSK-REAPER22

Between a rock and a hard place... need advice!

33 posts in this topic

Hey thumpertalk users.... im in a bit of a pickle here.... im a 15 year old who recently acquired a 2001 yz426f. now this bike is a real pain in my ass. I was buying it as an extra bike as i already have a 2001 kx250 as my main bike the 426 was going to be a bit of an extra bike that my dad or i could ride if we felt like it on occasion but me being a fool bought the bike for $1150. when it didnt run right. With my 2 stroke mind i thought oh easy fix ill tune it up and go throw some rooster tails with it. WRONG. I got the bike and the way it was running it was super hard to start and is has a hot start cam/ auto decompression cam in it and it would start when i gave it a ton of gas and it ran really crappy til about quarter throttle then it ran great it did wheelies and whatnot no problem. So i decided to do a valve job and apparently did it wrong cuz i started it and it knocked literally like a woodpecker on a tree. it was the worst sound i have heard come from a dirtbike. SO i took it to a shop and got a valve job and a carb clean with the idea that the valve job would fix the knock (or so they told me) they did all that and it still knocked REALLY bad but it ran good. They did another diagnostic and are now telling me that i need a new top and bottom end and a connecting rod as well as a replated cylinder. Keep in mind i have not actually yet scene the damage and i kinda think theyre totally bullshitting me but you guys tell me what you think. Now so far ive invested $1628 into this piece of absolute crap. i REALLY would like to keep this under $2000 and im considering all options (btw if any of you would like to buy the bike i would love to get rid of it im in Los Angeles). Anyways could you guys tell me what u think the best option here is because its really stressing me out because its actually my money and its alot of money for a 15 year old to spend.... all advice is appreciated thanks guys!

Hey thumpertalk users.... im in a bit of a pickle here.... im a 15 year old who recently acquired a 2001 yz426f. now this bike is a real pain in my ass. I was buying it as an extra bike as i already have a 2001 kx250 as my main bike the 426 was going to be a bit of an extra bike that my dad or i could ride if we felt like it on occasion but me being a fool bought the bike for $1150. when it didnt run right. With my 2 stroke mind i thought oh easy fix ill tune it up and go throw some rooster tails with it. WRONG. I got the bike and the way it was running it was super hard to start and is has a hot start cam/ auto decompression cam in it and it would start when i gave it a ton of gas and it ran really crappy til about quarter throttle then it ran great it did wheelies and whatnot no problem. So i decided to do a valve job and apparently did it wrong cuz i started it and it knocked literally like a woodpecker on a tree. it was the worst sound i have heard come from a dirtbike. SO i took it to a shop and got a valve job and a carb clean with the idea that the valve job would fix the knock (or so they told me) they did all that and it still knocked REALLY bad but it ran good. They did another diagnostic and are now telling me that i need a new top and bottom end and a connecting rod as well as a replated cylinder. Keep in mind i have not actually yet scene the damage and i kinda think theyre totally bullshitting me but you guys tell me what you think. Now so far ive invested $1628 into this piece of absolute crap. i REALLY would like to keep this under $2000 and im considering all options (btw if any of you would like to buy the bike i would love to get rid of it im in Los Angeles). Anyways could you guys tell me what u think the best option here is because its really stressing me out because its actually my money and its alot of money for a 15 year old to spend.... all advice is appreciated thanks guys!

The second analysis sounds reasonable to me, but I've never let a bike go that far. Sounds like you bought a wore out bike. Sometimes you can learn something without a price paid, looks like not this time.

Maybe a second shop opinion?

Good luck.

Mike

Next time stick with two strokes. ;)

Seriously though, get a second opinion and go from there. 

1 person likes this

If you paid for the bike at 15, you must work and be at least a semi intelligent kid. Sounds like it's time to hit the Yamaha threads and learn to do the rebuild yourself. If you had the discipline to save and buy it yourself at your age, I'm sure you have the discipline to learn a proper rebuild.

6 people like this

Either cut your losses or fix it but it will not be cheap. Sell it as parts and re coup some of your money

A few things to think about. It would have been a good idea to inspect the rod for play and install a new piston when you had the head off. From that persopective it is no different than your 2 stroke.

Is it possible that the noise you are hearing is the auto decrompessor working at low rpm? I would find a buddy that can help you work on it and knows what he is doing. Get a second opinion. I am a couple hours away from LA otherwise I would help.(bakersfield area) The YZ426 is a solid bike that if taken care of will give you a long time between repairs.

Edited by condor74

That sure a tough bike, a guy here have one and he runs it hard, yours could be wore out. Make it a project bike and learn

I know how to do piston and rings and new valves or whatever up there but if i have to split the case to get at the bottom end thats gonna be an issue and the main reason i dont do it myself is cuz i dont have a basic set of tools ATM....plus if the shot is BSing me i dont know how to check for a knock myself.... thanks for all the replies guys and 

A few things to think about. It would have been a good idea to inspect the rod for play and install a new piston when you had the head off. From that persopective it is no different than your 2 stroke.
Is it possible that the noise you are hearing is the auto decrompessor working at low rpm? I would find a buddy that can help you work on it and knows what he is doing. Get a second opinion. I am a couple hours away from LA otherwise I would help.(bakersfield area) The YZ426 is a solid bike that if taken care of will give you a long time between repairs.

you may be right but then why would they tell me i need a total rebuild and how much am i talking pricewise for a total rebuild its around $700 right?

i dont think that could be this severe i mean it is actually like someone knocking on a door it is really really bad its not like a light thump 

1.  Part it out on eBay.

2.  Stay in school and study hard, particularly English grammar.

please dont make comments like this... if youre saying my grammar is bad id love to tell you forum language is a bit different that perfect english grammar and if you must know i have a 3.7 GPA so again please dont make comments unless youre actually going to be helpful

1 person likes this

Buy a service manual and get after it is my advice. Take it apart and use it as a learning experience. If you put up a video of the knocking we could help you better but just a general knocking isn't a whole lot of help. These thumpers make a whole lot of noise especially when at low RPMs. When I first got my 450 I thought something was wrong, just wasn't used to it

Hey TskRpr22,

I'd take this conversation to the "YZ 400/426/450" forum instead of the this forum (General Dirt Bike Discussion).  I think you will find individuals who will have the specfic knowledge that you need in that forum.

I wish you the best with the bike.  If it were me in your shoes, I'd rebuild the YZ.  It will be a great learning opportunity and having the second bike for a friend or your dad to ride with you would be a lot of fun.

:ride:

1 person likes this

Take a long screw driver and put the end on each part of the engine with it running, head, cylinder, cases and the handle of it to your ear. Try some different places on it too to try and identify the location of the knock. Maybe you'll be lucky and it'll be a piston and cylinder sleeve. You could always just tear the top end off and turn the crank by hand and see if it moves freely and has no play

Take a long screw driver and put the end on each part of the engine with it running, head, cylinder, cases and the handle of it to your ear. Try some different places on it too to try and identify the location of the knock. Maybe you'll be lucky and it'll be a piston and cylinder sleeve. You could always just tear the top end off and turn the crank by hand and see if it moves freely and has no play

it seems the knock has been identified as a main bearing in the bottom end somewhere but again i still havent seen anything myself so i dont know but i can rebuild it myself my grandpa is an old mechanic who has done rebuilds on bikes many times AND hes going to let me borrow his tools i just need to find out exactly what bearing it is or if it even is a bearing is there anything i should look for specifically down there? if need be i can post videos of the bike as i tear it down to give you guys an idea of whats going on.

read mine i said its not perfect english grammar and i dont have twitter or whatever the hell else u said ruins society... now please if u are going to keep doing this just leave my post thanks

No.  I think I'll stay in your post, it will drive you crazy.

i dont think that could be this severe i mean it is actually like someone knocking on a door it is really really bad its not like a light thump 

please dont make comments like this... if youre saying my grammar is bad id love to tell you forum language is a bit different that perfect english grammar and if you must know i have a 3.7 GPA so again please dont make comments unless youre actually going to be helpful

Yikes, 3.7 GPA and it's not a habit to use proper capitalization, punctuation and conjugation? 

There are some suspended grammar rules for texts and IM's, true. While we have learned to tolerate and/or utilize truncated spelling in this venue, most of your errors above do not fit that category. 

I own two businesses. As such, I do a lot of online reputation management, social media campaigns, marketing etc. A lot of the millennial generation who theoretically would be a "perfect" hire for such a position are not precisely because they dont' write well. Their poor habits are so ingrained from years of saying "it's ok to write like crap because I am online, instant messaging or texting" etc. 

I simply will not hire someone who cannot write. And believe me, scouring the net for people’s posts on social media is something most companies do these days prior to hiring. Do yourself a favor and drop the habit while you are still young. 

Back on point; I've gotten myself into a few pickles like yours where the bike ended up needing and costing way more than I had anticipated. You simply have to do a cost/benefit analysis. 

Get a second opinion so that you feel comfortable that what is needed is actually needed. Determine what it will cost to pay for the labor and parts. Determine the cost for you to perform the labor yourself (determine a $ amount to pay yourself for time based on opportunity cost analysis) and determine what you could likely get by parting it out. Also consider what you can sell the bike for once repaired as well as the value you will derive from riding the bike (which is probably reduced as you already have a functioning bike). 

Then make your decision. 

What do you mean by "you decided to do a valve job and did it wrong". Are you talking about checking/setting clearances or a complete tear down of the valve train and resurfacing the seats and lapping the valves,etc.??

You're discovering early in life to avoid dealerships for bike repairs. Most have their own agendas. They're in it to make money after all. When you take a bike to a dealership for repairs, cost and the time for them to have it had better be no object. I would expect nothing less from a dealership on a bike that you drop off with not knowing what's wrong with it. They'll come back with repairs for everything not in new running condition.

It's great that you've lined up some tools and will have your Grand Dads help, will probably be a good project for the two of you. I'd cut your loses with the shop/dealership and spend that money on parts and your own tools.

I agree with learning to diagnose and repair it yourself or parting it out on ebay.

1 person likes this

My advice is free and thats about what it's worth. If you are concerned about recouping your money, part it out and sell it. However, that is a good bike and it sounds like it's salvageable. I would get a manual and the tools you need to rebuild it. The skills will last a lifetime and you'll have a good bike in the end. Dirt bikes are a money  losing proposition from the get go. 

1 person likes this

You will never break even on this bike financially. If your mechanically inclined or just like to learn, its a perfect bike to do that on because bluntly put, you've already lost your investment. If u do part it out the reality is you won't get much. The market for 426 parts isn't very big. Now that I've answered the op's question I must say the most irritating thing at my old age about reading forums such as this revolves around people who feel the urge to get involved by making insulting remarks about something totally irrelevant to the topic. If I were a moderator its likely anyone that does that would have their account suspended. To the op young men such as yourself give hope to old men like me. I see so many on forums like this let their folks foot the bill and whine like a mule for another bike when things don't go right. Hats off to you for saving your money and reaching out for a solution to your problem.

Edited by Will.A.R.
4 people like this

I am concerned as this all started after you initially worked on the valves. There may very well be some play. It may be ready for a new crank and rod. I just find the timing suspicious. Exactly what all did you take apart when you attempted your initial valve job? A dealership may sell you more repairs than you need for a couple reasons. First off they may be going with the shotgun approach. Spray enough new parts at it and it is bound to be fixed. Or the problem may just be one part but because of age of the bike they dot want it to have a bottom end issue after the repair is done and get blamed for not fixing it right. I work as a mechanic in a car dealership.I can tell you there are repairs that we do that seem excessive but if we do the minimum and something goes out later, we are blamed.

Do they still have it torn down or did they put it back together? If it is still together I would suspect they are guessing at the noise and have not actually seen the worn part. Their guess could be correct but it also may be something else.