shift shaft removal

Bike is an 10 yz450f. Previous owner bent the crap out of the shift shaft. I'm having trouble getting it out to replace it. It slides very easy for a 1/2 inch then it hits considerable resistance I assume this is where the bend is. Anyone have any tips or tricks to try getting it out?

Bike is an 10 yz450f. Previous owner bent the crap out of the shift shaft. I'm having trouble getting it out to replace it. It slides very easy for a 1/2 inch then it hits considerable resistance I assume this is where the bend is. Anyone have any tips or tricks to try getting it out?

Pull it until it stops, then I would (idk if it's the best idea, but best I can think of)

Use this method to bend it back enough to pull it out

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1426118076.744620.jpg

Pull it until it stops, then I would (idk if it's the best idea, but best I can think of)

Use this method to bend it back enough to pull it out

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1426118076.744620.jpg

Went out and gave that idea a whirl. I think the only way it would work is with heat. I couldn't get the shaft to budge. That shaft is damn stout for being so small in diameter. Great idea and gives a lot of leverage. Thanks for the response.

Went out and gave that idea a whirl. I think the only way it would work is with heat. I couldn't get the shaft to budge. That shaft is damn stout for being so small in diameter. Great idea and gives a lot of leverage. Thanks for the response.

Do you have a new one? Cut the old one

Cut the old shaft off.  It won't be easy unless you use a high speed abrasive cut-off wheel at 15K RPM or so.  You can either cut off the lever end on the left, or push it to the right as far as possible and cut the internal lever off the right end of the shaft and take it out the other way.

Cut the old shaft off. It won't be easy unless you use a high speed abrasive cut-off wheel at 15K RPM or so. You can either cut off the lever end on the left, or push it to the right as far as possible and cut the internal lever off the right end of the shaft and take it out the other way.

Thanks, I was just about to ask if it would slide out the other way since I can't get to the bend from the left. Time to bust the Dremel out.