2010 YZ450F flywheel

Purchased the GYTR flywheel and wanted to know if there are any special tools I will need to do the work. Any help or direction is appreciated.

A flywheel puller is all.  The nut retorques to 45 ft/lb.

The shaft is tapered, so unlike pulling things off of straight press fit shafts, once you exceed the resistance of the pressed taper fit, it will "pop free".  That can take a respectable amount of pressure to accomplish at times.  If you feel that you have put enough force on the pressure screw to worry you, take a steel hammer and strike the top of the pressure screw sharply once or twice.  Th eshock will often dislodge the fit and free the flywheel.

The better pullers are made in three parts: the puller body, which screws onto the flywheel (engage as much thread as possible), the pressure screw, and, in addition, a threaded cap that fits on the end of the crank the threads from the pressure screw.  If yours has such a cap, good, but DO NOT screw the protective cap all the way down to the point where it contacts the puller body, or it will hold the flywheel on, just as the nut will, and instead of pulling the flywheel off, you'll break something.   Leave just a 1/4" or so so it can snap free. 

Here's a note about how to reposition the Woodruff key during installation.

IMAG0478.jpg

Grayracer513 thanks for the detailed explanation. I have seen so many of your posts and consider myself educated on many fronts. BGoyins, thanks for showing me the proper install with the key. I'll let you know how it turns out. For the record I went to 50T on the rear and this GYTR flywheel weight. I'll see if this will take off the first gear "hit". If I'm not fully satisfied I'll try mapping it out using the "Woods Map" thanks again!!!

I did gytr fww and a 13/51, and have been running the less hit map on my 13. Works great for trails!

Put the same FW on my 13, with no mapping changes. Definetly money well spent!

Thanks guys!! Hopefully save myself a couple hundred bucks! I live up in NorCal. I ride Stonyford/Fouts Springs in Mendocino National Forest (I call it a little piece of heaven) and Carnegie south of Livermore Ca. Both places will be a good test for mods!

Hey Guys,

I finally put the bike back together after installing a new Motion Pro clutch cable and the GYTR flywheel weight. The bike started 2-3rd kick and I took it around the block for a quick spin. Stopped for a second then went up the street did a slow turn and it felt like the clutch didn't grab until late in the let out of the clutch lever. Free play in the lever is dialed in, but I never had a FWW before, would this be due to that or am I looking at replacing the clutch (which is fine). I just want to make sure that I am going to spend money if I need to; after I troubleshoot.

Also, kinda weird, after that turn, I wheelied for about 10-15 feet put the wheel down and heard a squealing noise..... My thought was I put the Acerbis disc guard on and I had to buy the bracket. Bracket incorporates the left collar and is not lubbed or bearinged (not a word I know but best description could come up with) and basically rubs metal on metal so I tried pushing grease in the groove to help lube it. I also replaced the front wheel bearings. I believe they went in straight since the front axle went through smoothly. Any thoughts on this as well.

Lastly, installed the IMS tank, like it, but Wow!! For the money you spend you would think that it would come from the manufacturer in a little better condition. Had to sand down the area around the bottom hole. Looks like they used 60 grit sand paper. I also had to drill out the aluminum bracket holes since only 2 holes lined up at the bottom of the tank. I didn't see any leaks last night, but I'll check for leaks this morning and let you know. If there are leaks any suggestions on a gasket sealer, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help and input

Update:

Didn't see any leaks from the IMS tank this morning.

Hey Guys,

I finally put the bike back together after installing a new Motion Pro clutch cable and the GYTR flywheel weight. The bike started 2-3rd kick and I took it around the block for a quick spin. Stopped for a second then went up the street did a slow turn and it felt like the clutch didn't grab until late in the let out of the clutch lever. Free play in the lever is dialed in, but I never had a FWW before, would this be due to that or am I looking at replacing the clutch (which is fine). I just want to make sure that I am going to spend money if I need to; after I troubleshoot.

The flywheel weight has nothing to do with the clutch.  At all.

Got it, thanks! Would it be safe to say that the clutch is ready to be replaced. However it didn't seem like it was slipping just late to engage. Not sure what to do here is all.

Update:

Gray I found your Mar. 6, 2012 post regarding the clutch release point and again educated!