HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oceantrav

Need help with my 2014 quick

5 posts in this topic

Ok, so bought a used 2014 yz450f that had 24 hours, I now have 35 on it.

There was a lot of gunk by the oil strainer. Got new o-rings and finally got around to pulling it out and cleaning it. The first picture shows some kind of lock tite, sealer, gasket, idk. It's a couple small hairs as shown in the picture. what would this be?

Anyways, so I replace the oring with a new one, there's only one right? Then I push the strainer back in the hole, and tighten the 10mm bolt that holds it in place. I tighten the bolt all the way, then check to see how tight the strainer is sitting in there. The stainer is very loose. You can pull it out a tad before it hits the bolt that's holding it In place. This can't be normal, right? What did I do wrong? The second picture is the strainer prior to re installing it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by oceantrav

Normal, as long as it doesn't leak. Your correct, only one o-ring. Also the sealer you see is likely the factory stuff that came off inside the case, looks like the original owner never cleaned the strainer. Enjoy the new ride!

Ya, the original owner deffinitly never cleaned it. Just seems odd there is so much play in it. Guess I'll ad oil and see what happens.....

Ok, so bought a used 2014 yz450f that had 24 hours, I now have 35 on it.

There was a lot of gunk by the oil strainer. Got new o-rings and finally got around to pulling it out and cleaning it. The first picture shows some kind of lock tite, sealer, gasket, idk. It's a couple small hairs as shown in the picture. what would this be?

Anyways, so I replace the oring with a new one, there's only one right? Then I push the strainer back in the hole, and tighten the 10mm bolt that holds it in place. I tighten the bolt all the way, then check to see how tight the strainer is sitting in there. The stainer is very loose. You can pull it out a tad before it hits the bolt that's holding it In place. This can't be normal, right? What did I do wrong? The second picture is the strainer prior to re installing it.

The "small hairs" you have is the Yamaha sealer that came from the valve cover gasket, from the half moons. Had the same thing in my strainer from the previous owner. It will fall right down where the timing chain runs. You'll be able to see where it came from when you pull the valve cover for a valve clearance check. At the least you know someone checked the valves.

Edited by FRANTIK1

I wondered the same thing about the movement . It's normal just don't do what I did and tighten the bolt down on the tall plastic peice were you grab it to pull out I cracked mine that way and I replaced it aswell as the new gasket. Looks like yours is cracked might aswell replace it it's cheap.