1999 Yamaha YZ400F- Should I buy?

Hello all,

I'm considering buying a 1999 yz400f. Anything I should know about this bike? Pros/cons? Is it a pita to maintain? Thanks in advance.

Good bike, heaps of parts. Great power.

Has Manual Decomp for starting... so you need to practice "the drill" to be efficient at starting.

A 1999 bike is a time bomb as far as the bottom end goes. 

Pro:

Powerful

Reliable (in good condition)

Probably cheap to buy

Stainless valves as OEM equipment.  Much cheaper than Ti.

Con:

Heavy for its class

Old: nobody makes aftermarket stuff for it anymore, and genuine replacement parts can be difficult to get

Carb: old design FCR was fussy when new, is probably worn, and can be nearly impossible to tune or repair when old and worn. (but it can be swapped for a new 450 carb)

Suspension: 4 generations old.  Forks were never great when new.

Uses 7/8" bars.

Little or no resale value

I bought one for a grand about a month ago and I love it. I haven't had a bike in nearly 30 years so I have no frame of reference and I don't ride MX so being competitive is not a concern, but it puts a huge smile on my face when I turn the throttle!

I did get a '07 450 carb and that made a huge improvement in ease of starting and eliminated some backfiring I was having. It literally fires on one kick from cold or hot.

For me the benefit is I just want something fun, so might as well get something that has had all of its depreciation taken out of it and then if I want something else I can get close what I put into it.

I bought one for a grand about a month ago and I love it. I haven't had a bike in nearly 30 years so I have no frame of reference and I don't ride MX so being competitive is not a concern, but it puts a huge smile on my face when I turn the throttle!

I did get a '07 450 carb and that made a huge improvement in ease of starting and eliminated some backfiring I was having. It literally fires on one kick from cold or hot.

For me the benefit is I just want something fun, so might as well get something that has had all of its depreciation taken out of it and then if I want something else I can get close what I put into it.

I ended up buying it for under 1000, and I completely agree in regards to depreciation. I figured it runs and rides great, so the price really can't get any lower. I love it so far!