Tall rider setup

I need some information on setting my bike up for a taller rider. Being 6'2", my bike feels cramped. I always feel like I am falling off the back of the bike. I bought an SDG tall seat to help with the transitions,

but what can I do for standing? I heard Pestrana lowered his footpegs. How does this affect the balance

of the bike? It looks like I can move then down and rearward about 1/2" each. Should I do it? What about

triple clamps. How much forward can I go? What are the drawbacks to being forward? Can the bars be too far forward? Any recommendations on clamps?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I've seen an Oberg sports top clamp for sale at my local dealer that has a lot of adjustments forward and back. They only carry one height bar clamp, but I bet they sell different rises. Advantage of that would be if you didn't like it being really far forward, you could move them back slightly.

I've also heard some folks on here talk about the different bends of handle bars making a big difference.

I'm 6'4" tall, but I haven't tried any of this yet because I've had to replace my wifes stolen 4 wheeler (^$*@^#$*). Maybe later this year...

Novacop,

Was 12mm enough? The TAG clamps move forward about 24mm. Do you feel like the additional 12mm would help? It seems like most of the clamps move forward about 12 - 15 mm. Is this the sweet spot? I am wandering if there is a drawback to 24mm forward. Was there any particular reason you went with the applied clamp?

I found out that IMS makes footpegs that move you down 1/2" and back 1/2". Has anyone tried them?

Novacop,

Was 12mm enough? The TAG clamps move forward about 24mm. Do you feel like the additional 12mm would help? It seems like most of the clamps move forward about 12 - 15 mm. Is this the sweet spot? I am wandering if there is a drawback to 24mm forward. Was there any particular reason you went with the applied clamp?

I found out that IMS makes footpegs that move you down 1/2" and back 1/2". Has anyone tried them?

Novacop,

Novacop,

Shaun,

I am 6'4". I installed a BRP top clamp with 10mm taller bar mounts. I can move the bar mounts forward 9-15mm. I am also using Jimmy Button Renthal bars. This setup really opens up the rider compartment.

As for the foot pegs. You can save yourself some money and modify the stock pegs. There was an article in one of the dirt bike mags a while back detailing the modifications. The stock pegs have a shoulder on the bottom side that the spings slides over. Cut off the shoulder and move it to the top side. You will also have to switch the Left and Right sping. Some folks recommend welding the shoulder back on some don't. I didn't and have had no problems. This modification lowers the pegs approx 1/2" and moves them back approx 1/2".

I've done the above modifications to my YZ400F and my YZ250. It made a HUGE difference.

SM421,

Have you had any issues with ground clearance? A 1/2" isn't that much, so I wouldn't think so.

The button bars have .4" more sweep from the stock bars. It looks like the 15mm you gained with the clamps is lost in the sweep. Is that true? Something just doesn't seem right. I have heard others talk about the button bend. What am I missing? Do you think moving the bars forward 24mm(TAG) would be better? I am trying to get a feel for what is enough. Pro taper has a Pastrana bend which is 30.5, 4.91, 2.17 vs button 31.77,4.33, 2.63. The Pastana's are taller with less sweep but are narrower. Anyone tried this bend?

Anyways, Thanks for the info SM421. I am going to cut my pegs down today. I just needed some confirmation that it doesn't screw up the balance of the bike.

Shaun

Check this out,

Thumperracing sells bar risers that fit the stock clamps. I just got mine. They are 1.5" higher and I believe 1" forward. I have the stock bend in Renthals since someone was nice enough to bend my stock ones for me. I like the bend of the YZ stockers...this just raised and pushes forward. The cost is about $90. Check em out by doing a search here for oberg triple clamp and I think Flyinguitars has a pic of his set up...this is what I saw and what made me want some for myself. I can tell you that standing is MUCH more comfortable! ?

RideOn...

j

• 2 weeks later...

Shaun-

I'm also 6'2". Here's what I did=-it works great when standing! And it was cheap!

1.Buy two more stock handlbar clamps and longer handlbar bolts. Turn one pair upside down and mount will longer bolts. Re-adjust cables as they will be slightly tighter.

1.b Alternative: Renthal Jimmy Button bars are the tallest you can get.

1.c- Aftermarket bar risers

-Lower the footpegs. Take peg off, cut barrel end off flush with the peg, reweld barrel on opposite side.

- Taller seat foam

I am 6'4" and all I did was this. I run the Button bend bars for added height, and I rotate them forward ala Vuillemin-style to flatten out the sweep, this works wonderful for me. It forces you to ride forward on the bike and makes cornering easier. I like my bars straight across as I can get them. I also run the levers flatter than normal, it feels odd at first, but once you try it and get used to it, you won't go back. I did not modify the pegs at all, did not feel the need for it. I tend to hunker down on the bike anyway, with my head over the bars, so it works for me...

I went to a friend who is a machinist and he made me a set of bar risers. They move the bars 1 1/2" forward and 1 1/2" up. I don't know how I ever rode without them. The rear hole on the bar clamps just goes through the new clamp. The front hole on the clamp goes through the stock bar clamp top and through the new bracket. the front of the new bracket is threaded, so you just bolt through the top clamp. All you'll need to get is two long bolt to go through the middle bracket. I can send you pix if like. A machine shop should make these for you for about $40-45.

I did pretty much all of the above. I am 6'4" and I don't have the best knees. So I opened -up the space betwwen the pegs and the seat as much as I could. So I did the above peg mod, except I didn't reweld the barrel as the bolt holds it in place, I added GYT top triple clamps that have two holes for mounting and eccentric bar clamps, that gives you four possible fore/aft bar positions. I also had a friend machine 3/4" bar risers. I then purchased a 1" taller seat foam and added 1/2" rigid foam blocks between the seat pan and the foam for additional height. I found the bar risers reeally helped my balance when standing.

Hope that helps!

brockr,

Send pick to shaun@internetmachines.com. I would like to see what these risers look like.

I took all your guys' advice and lowered my pegs. It is hard to feel the difference in the garage. I hope I can get on the bike this weekend. Too much work.<https://www.thumpertalk.com/bike/ubb/icons/icon8.gif> Anyways, I notice alot of you have raised the bar in some fashion or another. I think I am going to add that to my must do list. Is it enough to add height with the stock clamp or do I need to go forward also? From my research, it looks like the Tag clamp and Tag cr double high (805, 115,62mm) would be a pretty good choice. The tag bar has about 6mm less sweep than the button bar. If I can get away with taller bars, that saves me $$$. Anyways, has anyone tried the tag setup? Are their bars any good?

Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming!!!