Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WilfulLemar20

Opinion about the yz450f 4 speed

7 posts in this topic

I recently bought an 04 yz450f and just found out that it has a 4 speed transmission I have not yet been able to ride the bike just got it running just wondering what some of you thought about the 4 speed I have rode a ktm 520 with a 4 speed and found myself searching for more gears

The first three ratios in the 4 speed are the same as the first three in the 5 speed.  The ratio of the 4 speed fourth is about 2/3 up between the 5 speed's 4th and 5th.

The 4 speed does give up some top speed vs. the 5 speed, but not that much.  As far as looking for more gears, if you ride any MX bike in the desert, you'll be looking for another gear anyway, whether you have 4, 5, or 6 gears. 

1 person likes this

I like the 4 speed thats why i ve hung onto an 03 that I bought new when they came out. Tons of hours on it but it still gets rode some. The four speed was great on the track just has to be geared up a tad.

I do a lot of trail riding but have to ride the ocasional dirt road good to hear it does not lose much top speed I was even thinking about going down to a 46 tooth sprocket in the rear

When I had my '03, I geared it 15/49 (stock is 14/48), which is the same as going two teeth smaller on the rear (14/46).  Rode it that way most of the time. 

1 person likes this

did it give it a noticable difference in speed and I don't want to go up in size on the front sproket because I would have to lose my case savor

did it give it a noticable difference in speed and I don't want to go up in size on the front sproket because I would have to lose my case savor

No a 15 will fit but thats as big as you can go on the front.