Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rusty99

Repainting Clutch Cover: Suggestions

10 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I would love to cleanup/repaint/polish my clutch cover. Mine is really nasty looking, most of paint has been rubbed off by the previous owners boot rubbing it.

Is there a good technique to repainting clutch covers?

Cheers

Have you considered an aftermarket one? There are some pretty nice ones available. If you were just rattlecanning it I wouldn't bring it up, but if you're spending the money for powder...

Sand blast it and paint it with VHT enamel and DON'T use the primer.  I do mine this way and they hold up far better than what Yamaha uses.  

powdercoat it!

About how much does it cost to have them powdercoated? Does the powder coat stand up? What color are you guys getting them done? 

Edited by Rusty99

Have you considered an aftermarket one? There are some pretty nice ones available. If you were just rattlecanning it I wouldn't bring it up, but if you're spending the money for powder...

I've looked at a couple aftermarket ones on line, I like the look of the blue ones. My concern is that the after market clutch covers might have the same problem with the finish rubbing off? Would be great to hear how they hold up.  I have no idea how much powder coating costs either.

I had a XT600Z.. hmmmm lets see if I can post a picture...

IMAGE_079.jpg

had the rims/ engine cases hubs all powder coated..