HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
humbertob

Cheng Shing Tires

11 posts in this topic

Any one here recommend Cheng shing tires....? I have looked so much bikes with Cheng Shing tires out from the dealership, are they really good....?

When I was little we used them on our minis but we rode all offroad. For that they seemed to work fine, but I haven't tried one in over 10 years so I don't know how they compare to the name brand. Probably similar to any name brand vs. generic brand scenario.

Hey humbertob,

I used them alot with my YZ250. They are cheap and for a reason. In fact I could send you a pic of one after 4 ride...totally gone.

Do not...I repeat..Do not use on of those on a thumper. You'll go for one ride and there will be knobbies missing...they just tear of.

If you have a low powered 2 stroke and just want to play in the sand....get one...otherwise stick with the better tires.

im going to go the other way here, ive been racing desert with chen shing 755 for a couple months now and like them better than the dunlops i was using, they seem to last longer than the dunlop 752 i believe and pirelli in the hard rocky stuff, plus their alot cheaper

I have used cheng shin when I was a kid.

When I got my yz250 after a 13yr break from dirt, I started using MAXXIS because I did not want to go w/cheng shin.

I loved the MAXXIS but the tire changing dudes HATED them because of the super thick side wall. (good for DEZ!!)

plus they were around 40bucks!!!!

Now if you have the $$$$ go for the MICH m-21f/s-12r combo!!!!! :)

Maxxis is made by Cheng Shin. Bet ya didnt see that comin. Ive always run Cheng Shins on my Cr500. But thats because that thing eats tires like they are free. IM lookin at new tires my self, I noticed in a mag, that Dunlop makes a 739 "fourstroke". This makes me very curious. Whats different I ask? Depending on where and how you ride, tires dont last on big thumpers plain and simple. I rode saturday outside Victorville. Ran through two tanks of gas. Used up a good 1/4 inch of rear tire on the K695 that on the bike now.

How much are the Cheng Shins compared to the better brands?

I paid $111 for a front and rear Bridgestone from Rocky Mtn Cycle. That was including shipping to my front door.

mat, I would hope that a hard terrain Cheng Shin would outlast a soft terrain Dunlop in the desert. :)

[ February 11, 2002: Message edited by: F-Pilot ]

. IM lookin at new tires my self, I noticed in a mag, that Dunlop makes a 739 "fourstroke". This makes me very curious. Whats different I ask? Depending on where and how you ride, tires dont last on big thumpers plain and simple. I rode saturday outside Victorville. Ran through two tanks of gas. Used up a good 1/4 inch of rear tire on the K695 that on the bike now.[/QB]

Shawn, I believe the 739G is supposed to have a tougher carcass to withstand the weight of the thumper. I do know enough not to waste my $ on those again. 695s hook up ok but they wear like BUTTER (out in the Dez and on tracks). Go with a 756 combo, if you want the best of all worlds (traction, wear etc.)

My 02.

p.s. I used to use Chin-**** back in the day when I was riding duel sports for miles on the highway to get from fire road to fire road. Other than that, I see no use.

I have used them before on my old XR, even it would rip the knobs off. They are hard as hell to change too. Im pretty sure somewhere in the Japanese dictionary the words ChengShen stands for Cheap %#$&.

Norman

Pure desert here with the big bore thumper and i will stand behind them 110%. Awesome tire and even more stunning when mounted to a 3 inch desert sun rim. They may wear our faster then most other brands but then again, they are cheaper then most other brands.