Tuning or technique?.......and hello!!

I have been lurking in this site now for a couple of months, and it is now time for me to make my 1st post. First of all, this has got to be the greatest board known to man in reference to 4-stroke bikes!!! I already feel like I know most of the regular members here, and I hope I can add my .02 occasionally.

Here is my question. A couple of weeks ago, the weather here in West Virginia provided a brief respite, and my son and I made it out to the track for a Sunday mudbath. Now, granted, I have only been on my 426 five times for serious riding, but I found that whenever I tried to lay the bike down to hit a 12" - 18" berm, the bike wanted to stand up as soon as I got back hard on the throttle. I seem to remember someone making a reference to this situation under another topic, but for the life of me cannot remember what tuning would reduce this affect. I am just now getting comfortable with "THE BEAST", and it has been almost 25 years ( am I that old?) since I have ridden any mx bike in anger, so my delemma could simply be lack of experience.

If anyone has any advise on tuning, or advise on riding technique, I am all ears! I realize that the biggest difference between a novice rider and a pro-class rider is the speed they carry through the turns. This is where I plan to concentrate my practice.

Sorry for being long-winded, and I eagerly await your advice.

Dennis

Thats the torque of big blue and a new tire.. good hook up. maybe you want to give her more sag on the shock. Or just twist more so it looses traction faster. Have youn played with compression or rebound stettings at all?

Any way.. Nice list of toys! I need a PW 50 of something that size so I can teach my nephews to ride on two wheels! :D They've got a BADGER 80 now and have the need for speed ?

Your problem is a simple lesson in Gravity and G-force.It's all about steering and throttle. When in a berm and your bike starts to fall inside,Gas It. This will make your bike want to stand up. This can also be done with slight steering adjustments. If you feel yourself starting to highside steer towards the highside and or get off the gas till your in control then Gas it.

Go to your local track and camp out at a hard charging berm and take notes.

Ride On !

Thanks for the reply, Adam....

I have gone out a couple of clicks on the compression of both forks and shock, but to tell you the truth, i am used to riding an xt 225 with no suspension!! I used to be able to fly on my '72 Kawasaki 90, but that was many, many years ago......though it feels like yesterday!! This suspension on the 426 feels sooooo good, its hard for me to explain. I was alway the kid that could walk away from all the kids on racing bikes because I spent very waking moment on my bike wearing it out!!! Now I have one of the premier mx bikes ever created and I hate to think IT could be lacking in any area....you young guys don't remember when the monoshock came out and how much all of us kids at the time lusted after the new yzs, then cr elsinores!! ?

d chriss,

First off, welcome aboard! But,you had better quit with the old jokes because you will find that alot of us around here are just like you with the average age being higher than you would expect! :D I am sure there are plenty of us that remember the monoshock and even the 2-3" of travel on my old 72 Yamaha 360! :D I too am enjoying the advancements on my 2001 YZ426! ?

Keep Roostin,

Brian

D_Criss

Try raising the forks up in the clamps 2-3mm. this should lower the f-end and make the bike steer alittle better. sounds like your bike has a little tendency to overster in berms. Good luck!

Let me know if this helps.

BK

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're describing a "push". Increasing sag in the back (as someone suggested), will only make it worse. This will cause the back to "squat" and unweight the front. You want more weight on the front to get it to bite. Pulling the forks up in the triple really made a big improvement for me. I started at 5mm, and now am at 8mm. However, the biggest improvement will come from getting up on the tank, and getting your foot out and forward.

If I misunderstood your description-please disregard ?

Dennis at age 37 I would consider you on the young whipper-snapper side of this board. ha! ha!

Anyway, I got back into bikes again at 37 also,I'm 41 now and its good to be back.My 1974 CR250 was awsome back in 74, but I don't think I would want to trade my 426 for it.Keep practicing those turns bud.

I find myself having the same problem when I'm tired. My technique goes slack with an increase in fatigue. When I experience this, I concentrate on 1) staying far forward 2) outside elbow up 3)lead with my face. When tired, I have a tendency to let the acceleration g's pull my center of gravity rearward (i.e. head and upper body) and straighten my back. When this happens the bike always stands up and drifts to the outside.

Rolling your bars up helps keep you forward and elbows up.

I have found that running my rear sag between 90 and 95 does a lot to correct the push problem. Also, you really have to be up on the tank (like riding a unicycle) - if you slide back to soon, the front tire will hop the berm. Also, try getting on the throttle a little sooner. Don't just pin it, but rather roll it on so that the increase in torque is a little more gradual.

One great tip I heard that worked wonders for me was to make sure you get your butt crack up onto the outside edge of the seat. (Sorry for the crass explanation but it is the simplest way to describe it) And weight the outside peg.

I want to thank everyone for responding. I also want to appologize for being disrespectful to my elders ? I realize I am not the oldest guy on here, I just feel like it!!

Since I posted this topic, I have upgraded my bike with Pro Taper bars (YZ High Bend with universal mounting), and a gripper seat cover. I haven't yet ridden it, though. I am hoping the new bar setup will open up the riding compartment some for me and allow me to get up on the tank a little easier. It seems most agree my problem is one of technique. I guess it's going to be practice, practice, practice!! Not much of a punishment in my book!

I am also hoping that the gripper seat cover along with the new bar setup will help aleviate some of the arm pump I have experienced. I am trying to make an effort to relax, and grip the bike with my legs and knees, but I also want to perfect everything mechanical as well. I am having the time of my life re-learning everything. The one thing that cannot be changed is my 37 year old psyche. I must get to work the next day to ba able to afford all of this fun!

Once again, thanks everyone for your advice....this is the greatest forum in the world and the greatest bunch of guys on 2 wheels!!

Originally posted by fastkevin:

American Supercamp - teaches that position for flat tracking. Keeps you on top of the bike so you can have more control over slides. You go to one?

No, but it would be fun!

I forget where I heard that one, but it sure works!