Wossner pistons

Have any of you guys had experience with wossner 4 stroke pistons? Im deciding on what brand of piston to get, Any imput is appreciated

Have any of you guys had experience with wossner 4 stroke pistons? Im deciding on what brand of piston to get, Any imput is appreciated

Just one word...Wiseco.  I have been using their pistons since the early 70s, a quality product, never had a failure.

Do Wisco's make as much noise in a four stroke as they do a two stroke ?

I put them in a 440 SRX years ago, didn't run it an hour and ordered up oem's. Too much taper to the pistons caused them to rattle excessively. I couldn't listen to it, annoyed the heck out of me.

Im not getting wiesco. My local mechanic had to many 4 strokes top end go out using wiesco. 

I put them in a 440 SRX years ago, didn't run it an hour and ordered up oem's. Too much taper to the pistons caused them to rattle excessively. I couldn't listen to it, annoyed the heck out of me.

Sound more like a lousy bore job.  Never heard of that problem in all the years I've been using them.  They are forged, the proper clearance is critical.

Sound more like a lousy bore job.  Never heard of that problem in all the years I've been using them.  They are forged, the proper clearance is critical.

do you have a 2 stroke or 4 stroke

Im not getting wiesco. My local mechanic had to many 4 strokes top end go out using wiesco. 

Then he doesn't know what he is doing.  I've been using them for 40 years without a failure.

do you have a 2 stroke or 4 stroke

The first time I ever used Wiseco pistons was in a 1970 Kawasaki 2 stroke triple.  And now, 40 years later, I have a Wiseco 277 kit in my XR250R.

Then he doesn't know what he is doing.  I've been using them for 40 years without a failure.

He knows what he is doing. He just said over the years he saw that wiesco dont last as long as other brands such as wossner and je

My mechanic said he just dont like putting them in a 4 stroke race bike. He says hell put them in a 2 stroke though

The bore was tapered, not the piston. That or you just plain old had too much clearance.

And they can't make the same noise in an mx 4 stroke, mx bike 4 stroke Pistons have tiny skirts, the piston would likely turn sideways in the bore soon after it was audible

Edited by zotis777

He knows what he is doing. He just said over the years he saw that wiesco dont last as long as other brands such as wossner and je

Not the fault of the piston, there are tons of factors that contribute to piston wear

Not the fault of the piston, there are tons of factors that contribute to piston wear

i know but he used wiesco on his personal mx bike and had 2 of them go out quicker than his wossner and je pistons would. 

i know but he used wiesco on his personal mx bike and had 2 of them go out quicker than his wossner and je pistons would. 

How does a piston "go out"?  Poor maintenance.  Bad bore job.  Mistake on reassembly.  A company wouldn't be in business as long as they have been if their pistons "go out".  Sounds to me like the guy doesn't know what he is doing.

How does a piston "go out"?  Poor maintenance.  Bad bore job.  Mistake on reassembly.  A company wouldn't be in business as long as they have been if their pistons "go out".  Sounds to me like the guy doesn't know what he is doing.

maybe he just had bad luck with wiesco. He knows what he is doing otherwise he wouldnt have a good reputation and would be out of buisness

The bore on the SRX is chrome, and one cylinder was brand new. Same clearance on the skirts in both cylinders.

The sled pistons are a tapered piston that are supposed to expand with heat to accommodate the taper from what I had always read.

Bikes and sleds do run in different environments, so it is possible the bike Pistons don't use as much taper.

Glad to hear they have been good to use for you. I have a TT350 that I am still considering doing a rebuild on. I may give the Wisco's another try.

but constantly failing cranks are ok?

The bore on the SRX is chrome, and one cylinder was brand new. Same clearance on the skirts in both cylinders.

The sled pistons are a tapered piston that are supposed to expand with heat to accommodate the taper from what I had always read.

Bikes and sleds do run in different environments, so it is possible the bike Pistons don't use as much taper.

Glad to hear they have been good to use for you. I have a TT350 that I am still considering doing a rebuild on. I may give the Wisco's another try.

Did not know sleds were more tapered

More warm up time?

Perhaps more wa

I've used wossner and wiseco. Never had a problem with either. I think the wossner is a work of art. Very nice Pistons. I wouldn't hesitate with one.

but constantly failing cranks are ok?

The cranks are a side thing to them, if you go to their website what they talk about mainly is their American made pistons.  I have never used a Wiseco crankshaft, but I hear they are foreign made.  We're talking about 70 year of making pistons here, not crankshafts.