New '16 WR450

Is the YZ engine as reliable as the WR?

That's the big question in my mind also. I'll bet there's a YZ450FX in 2016 and the WR will be just like it except softer springs and more electrical and also "green sticker compliant". The 450's will be just like what Yamaha has done with the 250f's in 2015.....or so a little fly on the wall has heard. Yamaha is poised to blow some big holes in what's been considered conventional for many years; 'bout time. This is a new era in off road motorcycling and Yamaha is leading the way.

• Like 1

a dutch rider in the Dakar said that the yammies (YZ's) are VERY reliable,

little maintenance compared to other brands..

the Dakar bike is indeed still a YZ450f,  and as for what Ive heard, next year a WR450 would be introduced with a reversed head..

(I have a source at Yamaha in Holland)

So...

I just might hold on to my money and get a new WR by the end of this year.. :goofy:

• Like 1

Cubera: I see you have the WR450F and the YZ250FX.  I am leaning that way to replace my KX250.  Would you care to  comment about how each bike complements each other?   Thanks.

The WR450 is my first choice for long rides and open desert style racing where the likelihood of uber technical and bike dragging is limited. It's too heavy for that kind of riding and for the MX track but the weight is an advantage to some extent on longer higher speed rides. The WR is very nimble for a 450 and reliable as an anvil. It does not seem to ever work very hard even when being flogged to within an inch of its life on some rides. It is still a very capable machine in technical one track and even in deep soft sand for a heavy front end pushing thumper. It has over 200 hours on it and runs better than when new. It's due for some TLC! The WR450 is an impressive machine. The WR is a "do it all" bike pretty much. Mine is set-up to my liking and I'm fairly picky about such things.

I only have about 2 hours on the 250FX. I bought it so I can do some track riding and training and for more technical racing where there is a higher probability there might be some bike dragging involved. I believe it is open desert capable also but it would have to work considerably harder than the WR450 in higher speed type long races. The 250X is extremely easy to ride, very light weight, extremely nimble, and makes amazing power. It's hard to believe it's only 250cc. Out of the crate it is fully race capable. It has an amazing semi wide ratio gear box with no gaps. The clutch is butter smooth. The suspension is excellent and valved for off road. The E-start is superb. Fit and finish is top of the line. It has no lights, no computer, no nothing. It's got a 2.1 gallon tank that'll do 50 miles reliably (I think). This is a racing bike.

• Like 4

They need to go all the way and make one with turn singles and a plate but im sure they won't.   They would sell a boat load

Too many different BS rules and regulations for street-ability between the States which is a huge impediment to the big four making a fifty State street legal dirt bike. In Arizona we still have some options that'll allow conversion of about any bike to at least limited street use. One of the issues here is not blinkers and horns or brake lights and headlights but whether or not your machine has insurance to go along with the limited street tag....We're patiently waiting for Arizona to screw it all up like Cali has. Just sayin'.

I love my ol wr450 but I wouldn't mind trying a more nimble bike for trail riding. I'm even considering something in orange I know. I don't need lights so I was thinkin maybe this new 250fx might work. What do you guys think? I LOVE the grunt and power of my big 450 but if this 250 isn't too far behind and is noticeably lighter it may be the one. My wr has been the most reliable performance machine I've ever owned so I just hate to even consider anything but a yamaha.

• Like 1

I'm patiently waiting for Yamaha to update the WR450 with the reverse engine and 6 speed trans, like they just did to the 250!! Til then, my '07 is setup just how I like it and it will remain in the stable.

If, and that's a big IF, they build a 450FX, I will be very torn. I don't really need a headlight, but it is nice at times. E-start is more important to me, and they both have it. I like how the 250FX ecu is flashable with the GYTR tuner for mods and dislike how the WR isn't. I understand why they've locked it to remain 50 state legal.

• Like 1

The WR450 is my first choice for long rides and open desert style racing where the likelihood of uber technical and bike dragging is limited. It's too heavy for that kind of riding and for the MX track but the weight is an advantage to some extent on longer higher speed rides. The WR is very nimble for a 450 and reliable as an anvil. It does not seem to ever work very hard even when being flogged to within an inch of its life on some rides. It is still a very capable machine in technical one track and even in deep soft sand for a heavy front end pushing thumper. It has over 200 hours on it and runs better than when new. It's due for some TLC! The WR450 is an impressive machine. The WR is a "do it all" bike pretty much. Mine is set-up to my liking and I'm fairly picky about such things.

I only have about 2 hours on the 250FX. I bought it so I can do some track riding and training and for more technical racing where there is a higher probability there might be some bike dragging involved. I believe it is open desert capable also but it would have to work considerably harder than the WR450 in higher speed type long races. The 250X is extremely easy to ride, very light weight, extremely nimble, and makes amazing power. It's hard to believe it's only 250cc. Out of the crate it is fully race capable. It has an amazing semi wide ratio gear box with no gaps. The clutch is butter smooth. The suspension is excellent and valved for off road. The E-start is superb. Fit and finish is top of the line. It has no lights, no computer, no nothing. It's got a 2.1 gallon tank that'll do 50 miles reliably (I think). This is a racing bike.

Thanks for putting the perspective on each.

I'm patiently waiting for Yamaha to update the WR450 with the reverse engine and 6 speed trans, like they just did to the 250!! Til then, my '07 is setup just how I like it and it will remain in the stable.

If, and that's a big IF, they build a 450FX, I will be very torn. I don't really need a headlight, but it is nice at times. E-start is more important to me, and they both have it. I like how the 250FX ecu is flashable with the GYTR tuner for mods and dislike how the WR isn't. I understand why they've locked it to remain 50 state legal.

Yeah I should have waited...I came off an XR650R to the '14 WR450F late last summer.  I should've been more patient.  I think 2016 will have the new version of the 450F.  I really realy like my 450F though, so I am still happy.  In the mean time, I will look to replace my light bike.

Edited by AtomicGeo

The generator on the YZ250FX is the same as on the WR so it can have lights put on. I'm not sure if there are mods needed like "floating the ground wire" or not but I'm going to find out. I need night ride capable bikes.