backfire

Fnally got to take my new 01 wr 426 out for a ride.

All I can say is this bike is a weapon . We rode for 120 kilo's (75 miles) and the bike was running better as the day wore on

( so was I ). Can't say enough about how brilliant this bike was. Ecept for back firing on long steep downhiils with the throttle off. This seems like an over rich condition with the throttle closed, as the bike was not popping but every 10-20 seconds it would backfire with one loud bang. Has anyone else had this happen and how did you fix.

Also is 2.5 wt fork oil good to use ( I weigh 220 lb).

------------------

Tony Montana

[This message has been edited by tonymontana (edited 05-06-2001).]

Fuel screw on underside of carb; It is RECESSED and requires a short, flat tip screwdriver. OUT for MORE fuel.

Try out an additional 1/4 - 1/2 turn.

------------------

'99 WZ with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action, OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat, carb mods by Jim Dean and Sir "Taffy" from Jolly Old England, AMA, NESC.

If it's popping at regular intervals in downhills, turn fuel screw out (richer), if it's banging turn fuel screw in (leaner)start with 1/4 turn.

(If you can't resolve it with the fuel srew, check the exhaust system for leaks, fuel + air = bang :) )

¤Yn@hg¤

------------------

'99 WR400 F, YZ exhaust, throttle stop trimmed, WR timing, airbox cover removed