HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wiz636

2013 Desert/Baja Tuning/Mapping?

5 posts in this topic

Heading to Baja later this month with my 2013 YZ450. We are going to have some long days and I am wondering if it is possible to tune the bike for more fuel efficiency? If so, can somebody make a recommendation for mapping? 

I have the Acerbis 2.2 gallon tank and plan on carrying some fuel with me but would like to maximize the range of the bike if possible. I am running 15/48 gearing and we generally are staying away from the most technical trails.

Engine and exhaust are stock with the exception of a Lexx spark arrestor end cap.  Should I pull the spark arrestor and go with the larger tip vs the 'quiet' tip? Not worried about power, more concerned with fuel efficiency.

I would run the stock fuel map witch is all 0 and play with the timing to give the bike a feel like it has more top end/ longer gears. I would also remove the spark arrestor. I'm afraid if your start going into the -#'s on fuel you will run the bike hotter and be more aggressive on the throttle.

1 person likes this

I would run the stock fuel map witch is all 0 and play with the timing to give the bike a feel like it has more top end/ longer gears. I would also remove the spark arrestor. I'm afraid if your start going into the -#'s on fuel you will run the bike hotter and be more aggressive on the throttle.

Thanks for the advice...makes sense.

If fuel economy on longer rides was my goal, I would look at the 1/4 and 1/2 throttle cells, and cut back the fuel -1 or -2 on each while adding timing to each (+1 to +3) for starters.  Lean mixtures and plenty of advance are the key to fuel efficiency at part throttle.  Shouldn't need to alter your full throttle mapping for the purpose.