Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
djmurray

Head Gasket

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys, 

So I reccently rebuilt the top end on my 2013 YZ450F. It has a ported head and stage 2 cams with an akrapovic  header and tail.

The first ride I had the motor lock up, I stripped her down again and noticed the cam chain was binding at the bottom. 

Replaced the cam chain and rebuilt the motor with the same gasket (had less than 10 minutes)

Yesterday I took her up the rode to check and noticed oil dripping out the head, only to notice the head gasket is blown. 

This is the second time its done it, although both times I didn't replace the head gasket as it was always right after replacing.

I'm hoping this is just because I used the gasket twice, the coolant level never dropped and I didn't see any smoke. 

Any other signs that I should look for? 

It's simple: You can't reuse head gaskets.  You might maybe, if you never started the engine after you torqued it, but even then you'd have less than a 25% chance of making it work.  Steel shim gaskets that were ever run just can't be used a second time.

It's simple: You can't reuse head gaskets. You might maybe, if you never started the engine after you torqued it, but even then you'd have less than a 25% chance of making it work. Steel shim gaskets that were ever run just can't be used a second time.

I reused my head gaskets twice on my 08 YZ 450, and have been riding every other week with no problem. I figured it wouldn't work either time, but it did

It's simple: You can't reuse head gaskets.  You might maybe, if you never started the engine after you torqued it, but even then you'd have less than a 25% chance of making it work.  Steel shim gaskets that were ever run just can't be used a second time.

Thanks GrayRacer, I thought this was the problem. I am rebuild her today again with new gaskets. Anything else I should look out for?