New 2009 wr450

Hey, I just got an 09 and have some questions. How often should I change the oil, do I have to lube the chains and if so what with? When I got the bike the guy let me know the battery would not hold its charge therefore the e start didn't work. Does anyone know where I can get a battery? Also when attempting to use the e start the battery will after to or three tries of about two seconds each start clicking and the clock will reset and I don't know how to set the clock or use the computer. Is there wrong times to use the e start? Like if its a very cold start would it be better to just kick it? Thanks

I have an 09 and change the oil about every 10 hours.  For the chain, I like Maxima chain wax.  The charging system on WRs in not great, mine wouldn't charge enough to use the e start much.  I changed the stator and regulator rectifier to Ricky Stator parts.  Now it keeps it charged and the e start works.  Only time I kick it is when it's very cold.  Otherwise I always use the button.  You can get a battery at www.rockymountainatvmc.com or ebay.  For setting the clock and using the computer you'll have to get a shop manual or owners manual. 

I've sent my forks out twice for revalving, never liked them, bought stock 07 yz sss forks and loved them, huge improvement!!!! Save the money and just buy yz forks. Don't make my mistake.

Who did you send your WR forks to.

I have been happy with the gold valved WR forks. I did them myself based on the racetech computer valving.

I sent mine to a local shop in San Diego, won't say which one. Forks were ok in small stuff but hit a hard whoop and it would bottom hard. It help friend has a 08 Yz and would swap and ride the same jumps/whoop, his was dramatically better.

Also he bought a plated 08 wr450 for the street, he had his forks revolved by a different local guy in San diego and had the same issues would bottom on hard bumps. He would ride my wr450 with yz sss forks and it would never bottom.

We also did a YouTube video showing the difference. I'll see if I can find it.

It's really a problem with suspension tuners on the WR450 forks. Most of them just put an extra shim or two under the stock base valves.

It doesn't work the base valves need to be machined to accept all shims and no springs. The other route is to replace the base valves completely.

The YZ's all use shims which are easily tunable and do not need the base valves changed.

So if anyone sends WR450 forks out for tuning you have to find out what the suspension tuner is going to do to them or your really wasting your money.

Some tuners are well trained and know what to do. The Racetech gold valves work.

Edited by stevethe

Found the link

Really?

Some bonehead who rev's his bike to the rev limiter for 10 sec every hill climb has an opinion that has any merit???

You can even hear the piston slap around, on that poor bike.

What an idiot.

Oooh, the YZ suspension is better. That's a real revalation.

:lame:

Edited by Kah Ran Nee