Best set up for trails?

I have a 2001 YZ426F and was wondering what everybody thought about best gearing for trails. I am currently running a 14 tooth front, and 50 tooth sprocket in the back, looking for a little more low end power. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading!

14/52 with a rekluse and a properly tuned carb means my 426 never stalls or flames out....ever, unless it's upside down of course. Plenty of responsive low end grunt. I ran a 13 counter once. The bike was too aggressive at low speeds for my liking

Edited by gbrodnansky98

Thanks guys!! I really appreciate the input!! I've only been riding about 2 years now, so I'm fairly new. And gbrodnansky98, what exactly does it mean to flame out? I've heard that expression around ThumperTalk a couple times, but never really understood what it meant. Right now I'm debating replacing my stock clutch with either a Hinson or a Rekluse. Any particular reason you would pick the Rekluse over the Hinson?

Thanks guys!! I really appreciate the input!! I've only been riding about 2 years now, so I'm fairly new. And gbrodnansky98, what exactly does it mean to flame out? I've heard that expression around ThumperTalk a couple times, but never really understood what it meant. Right now I'm debating replacing my stock clutch with either a Hinson or a Rekluse. Any particular reason you would pick the Rekluse over the Hinson?

"Flame out" is an expression for the motor quiting at a low rpm (slightly off idle). Generally a carburetion or fuel injection hiccup.

Rekluse clutch kits give the bike an "auto clutch" feature. They make a fantastic woods advantage. There is tons of info about their products online.

Thanks again! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond! Now that you say that, my bike has flamed out a couple times. Usually coming into downhill switchbacks. I guess I just thought it was due to the high compression of the 426. I'm coming off of a two stroke, so the four stroke is a completely different machine to me.

I had flameout issues, and was  running a rekluse.  I couldn't get the jetting worked out.

If you continue to have issues with flameouts, then consider sending your carb to ZipTy or Tokyomods.  They do some mods that supposedly nearly abolish these occurrences.

Just suggesting.

Thanks CG118! I may have to do that. But pretty soon I will be taking my bike to my local Yamaha shop to check valve spacing, put in new clutch, and have all fluids flushed. The bike sat for a while before I bought it, do you think a good carb cleaning might fix it?

If you stare at the original carb wrong you can clog the Jets. It needs to be cleaned. Very easy to do. I'd recommend cleaning and possibly replacing the jets, clean the petcock (fuel tank valve) fuel filter as well. If you or someone else cleans the carb, absolutely do not separate the middle of the carb body apart. It is the part held together by torx screws. The gasket is hard to find and it is a precision fit.

Thanks! That's good to know! Supposedly this was some dude's race bike for two motos, and the didn't like it, and went back to a 2 stroke. He sold the bike and it sat for 4 years. The guy I bought it from got it running, then it sat again for almost 3 years.