HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SmackIt

07 WR450F GPRV4 Stabilizer Install Problem (Help!)

10 posts in this topic

I have a lot to do this weekend...

IMG_2326.jpg

The first thing I try to do is the GPRV4 Stabilizer Install. Should be a piece of cake, right?

IMG_2345.jpg

The flats on the pin are slightly off center.  Is that correct?  I guess it could be?

Put the ring on and it's not flush.

IMG_2329.jpg

There are two little post type protrusions on the cast steering column with two machined areas on the GPR ring.

Left Side Looks Good

IMG_2331.jpg

But right side is not...

IMG_2332.jpg

I assume squeezing the ring together will bring them closer, but the screw bottoms out and the ring can not be closed more.  Flaw or feature???  It looks to me like this hole was not completely tapped???

IMG_2336.jpg

I tried using a shorter screw so I could pinch the ring closer together, but the ring doesn't close enough to make a good fit on those posts.

Has anyone installed one of these and did you have a similar experience?  Of course it's saturday and GPR is closed, so I can't call and find out what the problem is.

Typical.

GPR is not all that precision in my experience. Mine had to be 'tweaked' to fit.

Filing the frame is common for a proper fit for GPR and Scotts anyway

Remember, it's not structructural, so you can modify it as long as it's on tight.

Typical Yammi. Beats the crap out of everything.... :-)

Dooood, I LOVE the 300.  Sooooo much fun, right up to the point I went through the bush and got separated from it and twisted my knee :cry:  :cry:

1 person likes this

Dooood, I LOVE the 300.  Sooooo much fun, right up to the point I went through the bush and got separated from it and twisted my knee :cry:  :cry:

So, you are saying that it's sooo good that it won't turn and avoid trees?

So, you are saying that it's sooo good that it won't turn and avoid trees?

The decision was go into a rain rutted trail or a bush. Split decision. As a man, I always chose bush. ;)

This bush ate me alive :shocked:

Further details on riding area specifics are classified and are on a need to know basis :devil:

1 person likes this

I just put a Scotts on mine recently, very similar

1) Definitely grind the frame so that ring sits on there nicely. A file is OK, but a dremel will work nice for the finnish work

The carbide 'tile cutting' bit works really good on metal, for finnisgh work use a coarse grit sanding drum

IT IS ESSENTIAL TO REMOVE 100% OF THAT BUMP OR THE CLAMP WILL NOT HOLD TIGHT

2) As far as that flat goes, rotate it. Work holding is essential to success. A pair of wood blocks in a vice to hold the clamp

Get a wrench that matches the flats and gently rotate. If it is loose in any way afterward you will need to press it out .

'scar' the shaft with a diamond file or something to make shaft 'fatter' and re-press. In addition poss use some forever loctite

Another possibility is just simply return to them and get one that is right

Good eye. Both of those are important