Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikea890

2009 yz450f oil

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys just picked up a 09 yz450f and wondering what type of oil to run in it I wanna run synthetic and what u recommend for a oil filter an a air filter thanks maintenance is gonna be number one for me thanks

Hey guys just picked up a 09 yz450f and wondering what type of oil to run in it I wanna run synthetic and what u recommend for a oil filter an a air filter thanks maintenance is gonna be number one for me thanks

A group IV or group V motorcycle specific. Know what your buying. I've had incredible luck with Redline 10-40

when it comes down to it, rotella is 15w40/10w30 oil that meets/exceeds requirements for our engines. and it is also JASO MA rated so it is safe for wet clutch use.

Works great and you can get 5gal pales of it for 60-70$. If you are feeling rich, ROTELLA t6 is the synthetic version and it is also safe for wet clutch.  But given that a semi truck can get 500,000 - 1,000,000 miles out of an engine running triple. I think it is just fine for us

Edited by adam8781

when it comes down to it, rotellps is 15w40/10w30 oil that meets/exceeds requirements for our engines. and it is also JASO MA rated so it is safe for wet clutch use.

Works great and you can get 5gal pales of it for 60-70$. If you are feeling rich, ROTELLA t6 is the synthetic version and it is also safe for wet clutch. But given that a semi truck can get 500,000 - 1,000,000 miles out of an engine running triple. I think it is just fine for us

This is where people get confused. Yes trucks get up to a million miles but the sumps hold gallons and bikes hold 1 quart. Trucks rpm generally is below 2500 rpm's and these bikes run up to 13000. Trucks have oil coolers and bikes don't. Huge differences! Edited by Gunner354

This is where people get confused. Yes trucks get up to a million miles but the sumps hold gallons and bikes hold 1 quart. Trucks rpm generally is below 2500 rpm's and these bikes run up to 13000. Trucks have oil coolers and bikes don't. Huge differences!

All true for the most part.  Apples to oranges etc. Still cant ignore that thousands of people use rotella for thousands of hours with zero signs of accelerated wear. We also change oil so frequently no matter what brand or type.

Think of the pressure heat and stress of connection rods, cam lobes etc in a diesel engine with a compression ratio of 20:1. It far exceeds what our tiny 4 strokes put out. 

If its good enough for that kind of engine abuse AND its safe for wet clutch. You have to be crazy to think its not good enough for 5-10 hours inside a 12-13:1 4 stroke.

1 person likes this