Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roosted1

how many hours on a piston 09 yz 450

19 posts in this topic

hi , I have recently purchased a 09 yz 450 , has now 73 hrs on it since new and has never been apart . to me it sounds very noisey like it might be due for a piston ,and it is noiser than other bikes I have heard  . how may hours roughly should you get out of one of these bikes  piston before it needs changing ?

this is my first 450 had 2 strokes before this one

It depends on how you ride it, and on how you maintain it.  I changed mine out at right around 300 hours of desert racing and recreational riding.  The only way to really know one way or other is to pull it apart and look.

ok thanks grey , bike has been very well looked after and maintained , very fussy owner , bike was used for enduro style racing here in Australia , 300 hrs is a lot more than mine has done

mine also has a after market bash plate which could be radiating a bit more noise too ,

nah , its when its just sitting there idling

Yes, it might be chain slap. Cam chain slap. Which is very noticeable on idling bikes

yep I'm an idiot ! :rolleyes:  sounds more solid than a cam chain rattle , sure its piston slap , its a lot louder engine noise than my friends 06 rmz 450  

so perhaps I should be asking is there a recommended time to pull down and check things ?  50 hrs ? 100hrs ?

yep I'm an idiot ! :rolleyes: sounds more solid than a cam chain rattle , sure its piston slap , its a lot louder engine noise than my friends 06 rmz 450

so perhaps I should be asking is there a recommended time to pull down and check things ? 50 hrs ? 100hrs ?

Pull the clutch in... My transmission makes a loud noise. Pretty sure all these bikes do. At 75 hours If you haven't abused it it should be fine. Pull the clutch in at neutral and see if it still makes it

2 people like this

Do you have an aluminum skid plate on that bike?

yeah it has , its not a huge one just a bit bigger than std. I will remove it and have a listen . I have a B & B skid plate on my drz 400 and that makes a huge difference to the engine noise

yeah it has , its not a huge one just a bit bigger than std. I will remove it and have a listen . I have a B & B skid plate on my drz 400 and that makes a huge difference to the engine noido a leakdown test

Do a leakdown test

Unfortunately, leak down tests don't really say too much about the piston itself.  The rings may seal pretty well in spite of the fact that the piston is perhaps even dangerously worn.  This was somewhat the case with my own '06.  Ran fine, good compression, and not even any unusual noise, but the piston was actually a bit overdue for replacement, going by the wear I found. 

The other earlier point about the gearbox rattle is quite valid.  Read: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/479304-07-yz450-engine-noise/#entry4444207

1 person likes this

My Piston is being done as we speak... 150hrs

Was starting to seem noisy.

Slightly down on compression.

Piston was showing wear on sides and rings were very worn (probably making the piston wobble).

Caught it before any marks or wear on bore.

$700 for piston/rings/gaskets and labour.

I say if you are concerned...do it and then ride happy.

1 person likes this

My Piston is being done as we speak... 150hrs

Was starting to seem noisy.

Slightly down on compression.

Piston was showing wear on sides and rings were very worn (probably making the piston wobble).

Caught it before any marks or wear on bore.

$700 for piston/rings/gaskets and labour.

I say if you are concerned...do it and then ride happy.

That's a $200 Job if you do it yourself.. Would probably take you 3 hours your first try and then 1 and a half the second try. I don't know about you but I sure won't pay hundreds per hour for work..

Pull the clutch in... My transmission makes a loud noise. Pretty sure all these bikes do. At 75 hours If you haven't abused it it should be fine. Pull the clutch in at neutral and see if it still makes it

Have tried this and it's much quieter with the clutch in ,almost to the stage where I'm thinking something in the clutch might be loose .might pull the clutch cover and have a look

Have tried this and it's much quieter with the clutch in ,almost to the stage where I'm thinking something in the clutch might be loose .might pull the clutch cover and have a look

The tranny is just noisy man. It drives me crazy. But every single yzf I've ridden of that generation has the same rattle noise

The tranny is just noisy man. It drives me crazy. But every single yzf I've ridden of that generation has the same rattle noise

Would you expect to hear this on a new 15 YZ250f? This is literally keeping me up at night. Lol.

Would you expect to hear this on a new 15 YZ250f? This is literally keeping me up at night. Lol.

Ahhh. No idea man. Haha I haven't noticed anything out of my buddies 15 though