HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
15thumper

brand new 2015 yz450

24 posts in this topic

so yesterday I  bought a new 2015 yz450 and I didn't really look at it much at the store since I had my kid with me and didn't think I needed to look it over much. so I get it home and see the both rotors sprockets chain and various fasteners have rust on them, the rotors have a lot. so has anyone had same issues before? the shop is closed until Tuesday but im pissed and fully expect to be taking the bike back

yz.jpg

10920956_517453645062651_7365595442807954471_n.jpg

For the money we pay for these bikes you'd think they would have cleaned that bike like a pearl. I totally agree with you I would take it back to. Eighther way around it you bought a great bike congratulations.

Edited by cas747

Wont hurt a thing.  First time it gets wet and you let it sit, it will get surface rust. it will not affect its performance.

Wow, i cant beleive that shit. Someone had to wash the bike and didnt dry it properly or wd40 it to displace some water. I would rip them a new one. It looks like the shop took it out for break-in procedure and quickly washed it before selling it. Unreal man. Other than that, enjoy the bike. Cant go wrong with yamaha , 2 or 4 stroke. G

I wouldn't worry one bit about it. Maybe mention it, but certainly wouldn't take it back. But that's me. It won't make a bit of difference in the long run. Looks like surface rust, but that's as best I can tell from photos.

Like everyone else said it wont hurt anything, but buying a new bike i'd expect it to be rust free and look brand new. Personally i'd take it back if I could get a replacement in time to go riding next weekend. Otherwise i'd just ride it as is cause I'm impatient!

Wow, i cant beleive that shit. Someone had to wash the bike and didnt dry it properly or wd40 it to displace some water. I would rip them a new one. It looks like the shop took it out for break-in procedure and quickly washed it before selling it. Unreal man. Other than that, enjoy the bike. Cant go wrong with yamaha , 2 or 4 stroke. G

I'd be more upset if someone sprayed wd-40 on my brake rotors.

7 people like this

It's a dirt bike. The first time you use it as such it's going to look worse. I understand you just dropped some coin on it but this seems silly to me.

I'd be more upset if someone sprayed wd-40 on my brake rotors.

Haha, yeah only made that mistake once, but i should of said was wd40 on the sprocket and anything else that needed it.

Scotchbrite the disk and get a new chain, stock chains are junk. Problem solved.

Edited by Dexter42

It's a dirt bike. The first time you use it as such it's going to look worse. I understand you just dropped some coin on it but this seems silly to me.

See I can agree with this a little. Yes any dirt bike is going to experience wear and damage while "in use." But, you don't go to the dealership and buy a new car with key marks and dents in it (although a majority of cars experience damage in their lifetime). I think if you purchase something new it should be just that, new. Light rust on the inside cutouts of your brake rotor to me is nothing and probably unavoidable with moisture in the air. Rust on your chain and sprockets is unacceptable considering they should be well lubed.

So to all the guys who think this isnt a big deal, im betting you've never walked in to a bike shop with 10k and bought a bike, none of my bikes even after riding them dor years has rust on them. Will it effect performance no, but if I wanted rusty parts I could have bought used off of cl so all you clowns who seem to think rust us normal on a bike I'd hate to see what you ride, I've been riding since 1980 in Washington with nasty mud rain clay and I care for my bikes and they NEVER HAVE RUST on foot pegs chain sprocket or rotors.

My question is to you 15thumper, why would you post something if you did not want people's opinions?  And second, why would you call people clowns for stating their thoughts?  And YES I personally have paid "10K" for a new bike off the show room floor, for my 2013, and yes it did have rust on it just like yours.  I was not very impressed, but I dealt with it.  I would not blame you for taking it back, however, don't be pissy with people when they give their two cents when you post something on a forum!

2 people like this

I have no issue with opinions, its the smartass comments people think because it says im a newbie here that I'm new to riding, but I've been a member for 7 years and I'm not new to riding, my question was simply has anyone ever bought a new bike with RUST all over it.

so yesterday I  bought a new 2015 yz450 and I didn't really look at it much at the store since I had my kid with me and didn't think I needed to look it over much. so I get it home and see the both rotors sprockets chain and various fasteners have rust on them, the rotors have a lot. so has anyone had same issues before? the shop is closed until Tuesday but im pissed and fully expect to be taking the bike back

Yes, my new 2014 had rusting in the same areas as the pictures you posted. I only paid $6,600, so I it didn't bother me.

What really torques a rider is finding out the bearings are bone dry from the factory. And not to be a smartass because you don't deserve smartass comments, but we've all been too excited and raced out of dealership and not noticing these sort of things. I bet they are understanding and tell you to bring it back if it has not been ridden. Best of luck.

1 person likes this

Yeah I fully expect to tear it down and grease all bearings, isnt it funny how they charge 590 set up fee when all they do is mount front fender and rim

#1 - Refuse to pay the setup fee.  They take 15 minutes to set up out of a crate to throw on forks, bars, and wheels, and their shop rate is ~$80/hour.

#2 - Remove swingarm, shock, wheels, and triples before you even ride it and grease EVERYTHING.  It will be dry as a popcorn fart, trust me.

I've always found my popcorn farts to be a little wet, but I do use alot of butter

1 person likes this