HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
viktors94

New piston, oxidation

15 posts in this topic

Hi. I just bought a new oem piston for my yzf450 2011. Bought it from a Guy Who had sold his yzf and had this one spare.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1422037642.105768.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1422037653.907887.jpg

There is some oxidation on it. All new Pistons I've handled has been shiny But i guess this one has been laying around for some months in his garage.

Is it normal or bad?

Any pitting or rough spots?

Nothing that i can feel with my finger, But the feel is not the same as if you drag over the shiny part in the middle.

Did you wash it? There definitely appears to be visible pitting on that piston...

i havent washed it. I scrubbed it with a microfibertowel and some engine oil to protect it But the stains doesnt go away. Should i return it?

A new piston shown at the resolution you took that photo would show the finish machining lines.  Since it doesn't,  I'd guess it was an old piston that was chemically cleaned eroding away all the surface machining tooling marks.  Yes return it , maybe expose the seller so nobody else buys from him

A new piston shown at the resolution you took that photo would show the finish machining lines. Since it doesn't, I'd guess it was an old piston that was chemically cleaned eroding away all the surface machining tooling marks. Yes return it , maybe expose the seller so nobody else buys from him

the pics was taken with flash. I talkes to the seller and he Said it has been sitting on a Shelf in the garage since april.. It was a friend of mine Who picked it up and the seller Said it was in new condition. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1422045163.471943.jpgi Will most likely return it.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1422045064.875991.jpg

Edited by viktors94

i havent washed it. I scrubbed it with a microfibertowel and some engine oil to protect it But the stains doesnt go away. Should i return it?

yes that piston doesn't look new at all

Thanks for all the help. The seller didnt know what it looked like because he has just let it sit in the packaging since april. He said I could return it so I will. The dangers of buying something you havent seen before lol..