Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
socalmotorider

Need electrical help on a 1999 YZ400F

4 posts in this topic

I just picked up a project bike hoping to get back on the saddle.

It's a 1999 Yamaha YZ400F and does not want to spark/fire so i downloaded the manual to check voltage etc. and here is what i found.

First i checked the obvious getting fuel,stop switch and spark which i am not sure but the spark is there but looks pretty faint but seems to jump across.

Next i broke out the meter to test the coil and CDI and here are my findings

CDI magneto inspection read 282 should be 248-372 GOOD

Source coil 1 resistance read 332 should be 720-1080 BAD

Source coil 2 resistance read 46 should be 44-66 GOOD (barely)

Secondary coil resistance read 11.57 should be 9.5-14.3 GOOD

Ignition coil jumps around ALL over the place and should be 0.20-0.30

Sooo hopefully some one has a better idea than me on my next step before i start throwing money around i don't have Haha Thanks in advance

Also bike does appear to have a aftermarket stator and i am guessing it's either a bad coil or stator ???

So you think it's the stator and not the coil ? My plan once i get it running is to run a led headlight so like the option of your stator but was hoping not to spend that much Haha although it is more reasonable than the stock one. I know it has a after market stator in there now as the original owner was running a headlight. Thanks and I'm local to you guys so that helps.

So you think it's the stator and not the coil ? My plan once i get it running is to run a led headlight so like the option of your stator but was hoping not to spend that much Haha although it is more reasonable than the stock one. I know it has a after market stator in there now as the original owner was running a headlight. Thanks and I'm local to you guys so that helps.

Source coil one is wat low. To run LED lights you will also need a small battery and rectifier, we carry both