Changing oil in a 2014

Got a used 14. What's the correct procedure an amounts for an oil change? Also is this pic normal? Looks kinda rigged

image.jpg

Drain everything, new filter, clean screen, and add oil according to the manual specs....

Probably one of the simplest bikes to change oil on...

700ml for oil...

Your strainer looks messed, should look like this...

20150110_145518_zpshvl6s1lj.jpg20150110_145430_zpsshk5ypqu.jpg

Edited by Monk

Start for 2 min, turn off for a couple minutes, drain, replace oil filter, fill with 690-700mL of oil, spray out the strainer if you're feeling ambitious every couple oil changes.

Strainer looks fine, I leave my grip for the strainer vertical like monks pic. Might need a new o-ring considering the wetness. But yes one of the easiest bikes for an oil change. One drain plug, 2 bolts for oil filter cover, and I usually clean/inspect strainer ever couple of rides. Get a manual. 0.69l (0.73 US qt)

It seems like a REALLY small amount of oil for both motor and trans..

It seems like a REALLY small amount of oil for both motor and trans..

I agree

I agree

I just pull the check plug and pour oil till it starts to come out. Let it drain Till it is just a drip then put the check bolt in and start it for a couple minutes. Remove check bolt and let it dran or add oil as necessary. When done, no oil should drop out. You don't need to measure the oil that way and in the end you only waste a couple teaspoons of oil. Edited by Goforaride

I just pull the check plug and pour oil till it starts to come out. Let it drain Till it is just a drip then put the check bolt in and start it for a couple minutes. Remove check bolt and let it dran or add oil as necessary. When done, no oil should drop out. You don't need to measure the oil that way and in the end you only waste a couple teaspoons of oil.

Or you could measure and not waste any oil....

Or you could measure and not waste any oil....

True. Just saying you can do it 100% accurate without measuring

can anyone see in their glass window?  mine has the factory fill in it but i cant make out an oil level.  it looks completely full to me.

can anyone see in their glass window? mine has the factory fill in it but i cant make out an oil level. it looks completely full to me.

you should only see throuugh it if your low or it is running. If you follow the procedure in the manual, the oil will fill the sight window. Enough oil remains in the engine that when you start it, it mixes and the sight window becomes dark. You can actually watch the old oil mix in through the sight window. Edited by Goforaride

you should only see throuugh it if your low or it is running.

i havent looked in the manual yet, but i was always under the impression you wanted the oil level at the halfway mark on the glass window.

if its completely full you wont be able to visually tell if it is overfilled.

True, you won't see the top of the oil while its sitting there because it is above the glass. If you tip the bike over to the right side you will see the oil.

image.jpg Not visually. That is what the check hole is for. The check hole is the bolt with the copper washer. When the last drop of oil comes out of this hole, the engine is not over full.

i havent looked in the manual yet, but i was always under the impression you wanted the oil level at the halfway mark on the glass window.

if its completely full you wont be able to visually tell if it is overfilled.

The halfway mark is the low mark. That's the point where you need to be adding

Didn't know yamaha had a strainer. I remember my 13 rmz had one. I'll order a new seal for mine, since it's a little wet around there.

Didn't know yamaha had a strainer.

They always had one.  Up to the '14, it hasn't been serviceable except during a tear down.