Few questions! :)

Hey guys, ive had my mind set of a alloy frame wr450f but im stuck between the 07' and 08'!!

I know of the problem with the 07' airbox but i wanted to know if thats the only problem and should i skip the 07' and go for a 08'-09'?

also is it possible to still get new bikes of that year that wasnt sold? like where does the stock go if its not sold at the dealers? I live in the UK im looking for places in the UK if there is any!

thank you!

ToAd

Really? just the black covers? ? Ahahaha ?

that doesnt bother me really as they will be stripped and polished along with the frame and swing arm!

This might sound weird to people who dont like to do to much maintenance but im really looking forward to having to strip the bike down just to get to the carb ? This is going to be my main bike used for greenlanes and travelling offroad alot and then i think i may get a yz250 2t for enduro racing!

id love to see more replies from people that own 07' 08' bikes that have ran them hard or total opposite and find out as much info as possible before i go looking as im not a rich man lol i will be saving to get this and it will be my pride and joy for many years to come! Thank you for the replys so far! :D

Really? just the black covers? ? Ahahaha ?

that doesnt bother me really as they will be stripped and polished along with the frame and swing arm!

This might sound weird to people who dont like to do to much maintenance but im really looking forward to having to strip the bike down just to get to the carb ? This is going to be my main bike used for greenlanes and travelling offroad alot and then i think i may get a yz250 2t for enduro racing!

id love to see more replies from people that own 07' 08' bikes that have ran them hard or total opposite and find out as much info as possible before i go looking as im not a rich man lol i will be saving to get this and it will be my pride and joy for many years to come! Thank you for the replys so far! :D

Yes, original graphics (if still on!) and change in colour of casings (if they havent been repainted!) are a quick way to age a 2007-2011 bike.

2007 had silver casings,

2008 had black flywheel, oil filter, clutch covers and a silver rocker cover,

2009 had black flywheel, oil filter, clutch and rocker cover - the 2010 and 2011 had the same.

Be careful though, you wouldn't believe the amount of people selling these bikes in the UK and claiming them to be a newer year than they actually are!

As mentioned by others, you'll be highly unlikely to find a cheap old stock but you may find a low use example.

I bought a 2008 wr450f and really like it. Again as others have mentioned, budget for replacing the known defective fork base (compression) valve and maybe even a re spring for your weight (if needed) and the bike will be great.

I would recommend AIS removal, a different silencer and a carb re jet & accelerator pump tweaks and they're better again - better response.

Stock headlight is pretty poor if you like a night ride though!

You can even modernise them a little if you wish by fitting 2012> side panels, airbox door, front mudguard and headlight. I wouldn't bother with the polished ali in the UK, its so damp it would be forever oxidising and going dull again!

Edited by foggy3061

LMAO wtf Kah? :s

Foggy thanks for the very informative reply, I was thinking of a aftermarket headlight anyway as i do want to ride in the dark and with some b roads being unlit it would be a good idea!

front mudguard will be changed for sure but i didnt know the 2012 side panels would fit do u mean the shrouds or the side number plates? all the mods u listed i was thinking of doing but it will take time on my budget but why should i lose out on the bike i want? ?

Also ive seen many sales on fleebay stating bikes are certain years when they quite clearly arent, for example a 2006 wr450f listed as a 2007 because thats when it was for road registered is unbelievable and proves how little they actually know! 

I will be taking a notebook with all the things to look for in the year and if they dont match i will be questioning them heavily, i know quite abit about all the things that count mechanically so thats on my side!

This is why i made the post to get all the info i need so i can go and purchase one with alot more confidence than just going on my mechanical know how, ive never touched one of these bikes so to me its totally new!

LMAO &%$#@! Kah? :s

Foggy thanks for the very informative reply, I was thinking of a aftermarket headlight anyway as i do want to ride in the dark and with some b roads being unlit it would be a good idea!

front mudguard will be changed for sure but i didnt know the 2012 side panels would fit do u mean the shrouds or the side number plates? all the mods u listed i was thinking of doing but it will take time on my budget but why should i lose out on the bike i want? ?

Also ive seen many sales on fleebay stating bikes are certain years when they quite clearly arent, for example a 2006 wr450f listed as a 2007 because thats when it was for road registered is unbelievable and proves how little they actually know! 

I will be taking a notebook with all the things to look for in the year and if they dont match i will be questioning them heavily, i know quite abit about all the things that count mechanically so thats on my side!

This is why i made the post to get all the info i need so i can go and purchase one with alot more confidence than just going on my mechanical know how, ive never touched one of these bikes so to me its totally new!

You can ride the bike stock on UK lanes without any bother, plenty do. All the mods, when you get the funds to do them just make it easier to ride / live with.

Yep, I ment the number board side panels. I replaced mine with 2012> items as the originals were pretty rough when I bought the bike. As for the front mudguard, UFO offer a 2012> version but with the mounting holes in the correct position for these bikes.

The 2012> headlight is far better than the original 07-11 units but isn't so cheap!

If you can, before viewing any, ask the seller for the model code number so you can verify its age. Its located on a small white sticker under the seat on the sub frame, this can also be used to date the bike, Or if all else fails, ask for the vin number and check it with Yamaha.

Sounds awesome man! post some pics :D

ahh its nice to know where the model code is and i didnt think about that or the VIN thanks man ? NOW PICS PICS PICS!!  :ride:  ?

P.S is this the side panels?

http://www.mdracingproducts.co.uk/side-panels-257

I’ll find some photos shortly!

Yeah the model code sticker is a great identifier, not only of age but destination country (i checked mine and found it was originally meant for the USA). If they provide the vin its a good sign its not stolen or ground off either!!!

Yep, those are the side panels – just remember to retrieve the aluminum ‘top hat’ anti crush collars from the fixing points of the original panels and install them in the new ones as they don’t come with them!

They also sell the UFO restyled front mudguard that fits earlier bikes but has the same profile as the 2012> wr450f.

http://www.mdracingproducts.co.uk/ufo-restyled-front-fender-yamaha-yz-125-250-03-14

Ermmm.... that looks the dogs ballies!! Are they the stock excel rims that have been powder coated or aftermarket? i want black rims on mine and have been looking at getting that powder coated!

also what wrap around hand guards are they, acerbis?

thanks for the info on the code label and yes your right if the vin isnt there i shall be shying away!

any reason you went for the akrapovic over the dep s7 or fmf?

Edited by ToAd21

Ermmm.... that looks the dogs ballies!! Are they the stock excel rims that have been powder coated or aftermarket? i want black rims on mine and have been looking at getting that powder coated!

also what wrap around hand guards are they, acerbis?

thanks for the info on the code label and yes your right if the vin isnt there i shall be shying away!

any reason you went for the akrapovic over the dep s7 or fmf?

Its not a bad old bus!

I got the wheels from eblag, a real bargain, a guy took them off this brand new 2014 wr450f in favour of supermoto wheels. They are genuine black anodised excel rims - the best way to go, powdercoat or paint will work but may chip easily. That said any coating will eventually suffer the signs of offroad use / tyre change scars!

The handguards are Zeta's armour guards, as seen here:

http://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/bike_parts/motocross_handguards/zeta_motocross_handguards/zeta_armor-guard_curved_handguard_kit_-_blue

They're Japanise so well thought out, well made and good value for money compared with the Acerbis ones too! you can buy spare bits for them too which is always handy!

As for the exhaust, the bike came with a DEP S7 system on it and it was good. I really rate DEP exhausts, they fit and work well, i've had them on a few of my other wrs in the past. Its still up for sale too, seems to be not much interest at the mo!

http://www.trailbikemag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26815

I got the Akrapovic as it was available at a price i couldn't turn down so i thought i'd give it a try and see what it like! If it had been full price there's no way i would've been able to justify that amount on an exhaust system! I have only tried one FMF silencer, some years ago, but wasn't overly happy with its fit and quality.

Thats the handguard i wanted to get either them or cycra!

If you still have the exhaust when i get the wr ill have it off you! ( that is of course if the bike doesnt already have one! )

Thats the handguard i wanted to get either them or cycra!

If you still have the exhaust when i get the wr ill have it off you! ( that is of course if the bike doesnt already have one! )

I'm sure the cycra handguards are good but at about the £100 i thought them a bit expensive. The zetas have had a couple of big knocks and are still in perfect shape, happy with them so far!

No problem buddy, i'll probably still have it, there's not been much interest so far!

Yea i seen the price difference but alot of people have used cycra and said they are good but zeta i was hard pressed to find info, but on what u have said ill get the zeta and use a few quid to get some spare guards for them!

if i had the cash id have it not but the bank *Missus* wouldnt be to happy ? ill see what i can do for my bday ;D

Yea i seen the price difference but alot of people have used cycra and said they are good but zeta i was hard pressed to find info, but on what u have said ill get the zeta and use a few quid to get some spare guards for them!

if i had the cash id have it not but the bank *Missus* wouldnt be to happy ? ill see what i can do for my bday ;D

Yeah there's three in our group using the zetas now and all of them have had a good 'test' or two and are still straight and true!

No worries buddy, maybe wait and see what your new steed will comes with exhaust wise first, it might already have a decent one on.