HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
woods-rider

How do you remove bladder from 2012 WR450F shock, no schrader valve

30 posts in this topic

I hate to make a thread like with with such a simple question, but I have been searching for over an hour for the answer and I can't seem to find it. I am in the process of revalving my shock and have it completely apart, nitrogen discharged, shaft removed, etc. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get the bladder and cap out. I have depressed the bladder cap and removed the snap ring. My problem is that there is absolutely nothing on the cap to grab onto and pull on like there is when there's a schrader valve. There's gotta be a trick, right?

938F0FF2-FF3F-40C7-8C7F-FA376725EFF1_zps

85FE1F28-1769-460B-885A-856DA47284DF_zps

Edited by woods-rider

You could try put in 30 PSI or so and see if it pops out.  I had a real hard time getting the cap pushed down to remove the ring with the pressure removed (22 gauge needle).  You could also try to fill up the main chamber with oil, and push the shaft / piston back in to force it out.  Going to be a little messy that way.  You could take out the internals at the compression adjustment and see if there is a clear path to the bladder and push it out with something blunt.

I definitely prefer the schraeder valve and there is room for it, so not sure why they went the way of the needle.

Edited by mch

You could try put in 30 PSI or so and see if it pops out.  I had a real hard time getting the cap pushed down to remove the ring with the pressure removed (22 gauge needle).  You could also try to fill up the main chamber with oil, and push the shaft / piston back in to force it out.  Going to be a little messy that way.  You could take out the internals at the compression adjustment and see if there is a clear path to the bladder and push it out with something blunt.

I definitely prefer the schraeder valve and there is room for it, so not sure why they went the way of the needle.

I tried a bit of pressure in it, but that just seemed to make it grab the walls of the shock and be even more difficult to move.

I have the compression adjuster out and there isn't a real clear path. It would have to be something skinny with a specific bend in it to reach (think wire coat hanger) and I am afraid that a pokey tool like that would damage the bladder.

I may have to give the oil method a try. It does sound messy though. If there aren't any better suggestions by morning I'll give this one a go. Thanks!

I tried a bit of pressure in it, but that just seemed to make it grab the walls of the shock and be even more difficult to move.

I have the compression adjuster out and there isn't a real clear path. It would have to be something skinny with a specific bend in it to reach (think wire coat hanger) and I am afraid that a pokey tool like that would damage the bladder.

I may have to give the oil method a try. It does sound messy though. If there aren't any better suggestions by morning I'll give this one a go. Thanks!I

Put com adjuster back and use air to blow it out,but use eye protection and put a bag over bladder,so that wount fly in ceiling.

I use a large bottlecap that just fit in hole and small hole a middle where you put airpressure.

Edited by wr4502012

Put com adjuster back and use air to blow it out,but use eye protection and put a bag over bladder,so that wount fly in ceiling.

I use a large bottlecap that just fit in hole and small hole a middle where you put airpressure.

Good idea, I'll give this a shot.

Rocky mountain atv YouTube has it

Link?

The shock rebuild video they have that I found had a schrader valve to pull on.

Here was the best setup I could think of/find. The bladder moved about 1/4", but won't budge any more. This set up leaks too much. The air pressure just deforms the plastic bottle and lets air escape. I am scouring the house trying to find something that will fit better and am coming up empty handed. What was the bottle cap from that you used?

D3153502-A9B2-498B-96AD-D5B15DCC6841_zps

4D36C473-2047-4364-8D08-F8C6BD7707D3_zps

37348C4C-BEFB-414D-AEF4-672AB7445BF3_zps

Edited by woods-rider

That almost fit inside and it need push sametime when adding pressure.

pic1.JPGpic2.JPG

Edited by wr4502012

Okay, this is cheezy but epoxy something to it.  Maybe something that doesn't look out of place that has some kind of hole you can hook.. then just leave it on.  Maybe use a hot glue gun on something so you can get the stuff off or some kind of adhesive tape?

Edited by mch

How do the suspension companies remove the bladder from this type of shock when they service them? There has to be a method, and maybe there's a special tool that I don't have and won't buy due to cost, but it might give some other ideas. Does anyone know how they do it?

How do the suspension companies remove the bladder from this type of shock when they service them? There has to be a method, and maybe there's a special tool that I don't have and won't buy due to cost, but it might give some other ideas. Does anyone know how they do it?

Once you get the clip off, the hydraulic pressure usually pushes it out.  I'm guessing he bled all the fluid from where you adjust the compression.

I did drain the fluid out of the compression adjuster hole. So, I need to put the compression adjuster back in, put some oil in it, then put the shaft/valve assembly back in and push it in fast which will push out the bladder?

I'd fill the bladder with a bit of air just to get it firm, then just start forcing oil in at the main shock body with the shaft/piston assembly; it should push out.  I would think you could even super glue a popsicle stick or something to the cap and pull it out.

So the compressed air method finally worked. I found a cap and put it in as WR4502012 recommended and it shot off and hit the ceiling! After looking inside, I see what my problem was. I pushed the bladder in too far. There's a lip about 1.5" down where the diameter widens a bit and the finish gets rough. I think I pushed the cap almost to this point so that the edges of the bladder that fit to the cap were beyond this lip and grabbing the shock body.

8F00D7B7-ACE4-4C54-B7DF-1B43A65339F1_zps

4986129B-2ED4-4784-A54E-176E9CDD2B8F_zps

74C14938-FCFF-4DC0-9216-DDC8CF11BD86_zps

Now I just gotta wait for some fork tools to open up my forks, then my racetech gold valves should be here by the end of next week and I can install them and button everything up, hopefully in time for a weekend ride.

Edited by woods-rider

How does everyone recharge the shock? With a shraeder installed? Or with a Needle?

How does everyone recharge the shock? With a shraeder installed? Or with a Needle?

You can either invest in the equipment (needle, nitrogen tank, and all the fittings/hoses) or you can just take it to a local shop and have them charge it for ~$20 which is what I plan on doing.