HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
killcrop

Price Check- '98 XR650L

11 posts in this topic

I know a guy that has a very clean 98 XR650L with around 4000 miles. Mostly road miles by the look of the bike.

It has a new back tire but otherwise is stock.

What is this bike worth?

bought mine from my father-in-law same year with 2000 miles for $2000. :)

But that's not real world I would look at nada, kelly blue book and cycletrader.com. I bet its going for around $3000 to $4000 depending on mods and local in the US

Good luck

Travis

<><

Do a search on www.cycletrader.com & you'll get a pretty good gauge.

I bought my 98 XRL in Sep 03 with 1.8K "street" miles on it for $3.8K here in SD, CA. Really clean with no smog and a Supertrapp. I've put over $500 in recent mods.

If any year XRL is in good shape and has very low mileage, you can expect to pay between $3K - $4K, depending on modifications & condition. The way I looked at it was no matter what I paid (within reason), it was $$$ well spent.

I just bought a 99 XR650L this past October. Like new condition with 5500 "street miles" on it for $3000 with a Bell helmet thrown in. Seemed pretty reasonable to me given that I live in rural SW Washington and wasn't going to come across another one to soon without having to make a trip to Portland, Seattle, Etc. I have done a few mods so far (see sig.) and am also planning to add an exhaust tip to the stock muffler. Apparently the thumper inserts are no longer available but White Bro's makes a "hot-tip" for the L that is similar. Anyone tried one of these?

Apparently the thumper inserts are no longer available but White Bro's makes a "hot-tip" for the L that is similar. Anyone tried one of these?

No, but I have the White Bros E-Series pipe and love it. :)

The deals are out there. You just have to be patient. I found my '02 with 290 miles on it at a dealer and paid $4300 in July 03. :)

planning to add an exhaust tip to the stock muffler. Apparently the thumper inserts are no longer available but White Bro's makes a "hot-tip" for the L that is similar. Anyone tried one of these?

Mine came with the BD tip it was good quiet, way more open than stock. I would however save your $ and get a good, at the least muffler.

Travis

<><

My experiance, was last year I tried to get the "HOT-TIP" insert for my bike and after two months my local dealership told me that the manufacture doesn't make them anymore!

My opinion is if you can get it, the price sounded right at the time! Go for it!

Since I couldn't get mine at the time, I ended up going with an aftermarket slip-on pipe. I went with the FMF PowerCore IV as in Maryland I'm never going to have to pass a sound test. While it is a deeper and louder then the factory pipe, I still have the option of bying a "Quiet" core insert that specificlly made for FMF PowerCore IV.

:)

Thanks guys for the feedback on the hot-tip and exhaust options, etc. I may call the dealer on Monday just to see if it is avail. as the price is nice and I am not looking for full bore mods at this time. Just some mild tweaking. However, if I cannot get some sort of insert I may go with an aftermarket exhaust as I can't bear to leave it stock either. How quiet are the quiet cores on the FMF , WB, and or Big Gun exhausts? I don't mind a little louder than stock but don't want a screamer either since I will be commuting to work every day on the XR during the summer. :)

Thanks, Ken

Thanks guys for the feedback on the hot-tip and exhaust options, etc. I may call the dealer on Monday just to see if it is avail. as the price is nice and I am not looking for full bore mods at this time. Just some mild tweaking. However, if I cannot get some sort of insert I may go with an aftermarket exhaust as I can't bear to leave it stock either. How quiet are the quiet cores on the FMF , WB, and or Big Gun exhausts? I don't mind a little louder than stock but don't want a screamer either since I will be commuting to work every day on the XR during the summer. :)

Thanks, Ken

I have the WB E-series with six disc installed. I don't feel there is a need for a quiet core. It's just a little louder than stock. I had a XR's Only pipe and got rid of it because it was just too dang loud. :D

I just bought a 2001 XR650L in excellent shape (2900 miles) for $3000. That's a good price for the SF bay area. I've been looking for a while. It's got some scuffs on the number plates and the right tank wing is broken, that's it. Rear tire 1/2 worn.

By the way, it's got one of those tips on it, I think Thumper Racing or Baja Designs. Those work real well. I've got them on both my bikes. Quiet, but not nearly as constipated as stock.

-Toby