HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rojapar

Oil weight question...

4 posts in this topic

I think I've decided to go with Red Line oil after a lot of research, so I don't want to start a which oil debate, but I was wondering what weight most people are running. I'm seeing seeing 10w-30 to 20w-50.

http://www.ridejbi.com/2014-yamaha-yz450f-specifications/

What is the most popular weight ran on here?

Thanks

Great choice on oil! I have used the 10-40 for years. i did try the 20-50 years ago however. I was running a Rekluse and the heavier oil caused the old zstart to drag. Edited by Gunner354

It really depends on the operating conditions,  and it's best to go with the manufacturer's specified weight for your particular climate.  Straying away from those recommendations is like playing Russian Roulette.   If you use an oil which is heavier than recommended you end up having high oil pressure close to the oil pump,  but you risk ending up with an insufficient flow rate at the journals which are smallest / farthest away from the oil pump.   If you go lighter than stock,   you end up with high flow rates but much lower oil pressure all around,  particularly at the smallest / farthest journals.    Just something to consider.

Edited by PsychoSane

There is a viscosity table in your manual that spells out the grade you need for various temperature ranges.  Understand what the numbers mean:  in "10w-40" you have an oil that has the same viscosity at 70℉ that a straight grade 10 weight would (the 'W' number, indicating the "winter" viscosity), but is as viscous as a straight 40 weight at 200℉.

(X)w-30's are too light under most normal conditions, and (X)w-50's are unnecessarily thick most times, possibly impeding circulation.  10w-40's will cover most people's needs most of the time.