2014 WR450F

Okay, first off, I've been researching this bike a lot and have read a ton of threads on many different websites already. 

I just bought a new 2014 WR450F. I've taken the middle part of the exhaust pipe out, taken out the snorkel, and switched the throttle screw. I rode it up and down the street with the stock ecu and then switched it with the competition ecu. I couldn't tell a difference but I didn't get the bike high in the RPM's. Is that where is makes the difference? Also, any other information about this bike would be helpful. This is my first fuel injected bike so that is completely new to me. Thanks

Huh,    That was a good idea.     i just bought the same bike.    I rode it around the block then did everything you did including the ECU all at the same time.   Stock then with everything made a huge difference.    Just out of curiosity the next time I go out to the desert I will bring both and report back..    Let me know if you do the same..     

You have to reprogram the competition ECU fuel and ignition mapping...otherwise I would think the pre-programmed mapping would probably be flat across all RPMs

The GYT ECU comes pre-programmed for an uncorked intake and a FMF full exhaust.

You have to reprogram the competition ECU fuel and ignition mapping...otherwise I would think the pre-programmed mapping would probably be flat across all RPMs

Huh,    That was a good idea.     i just bought the same bike.    I rode it around the block then did everything you did including the ECU all at the same time.   Stock then with everything made a huge difference.    Just out of curiosity the next time I go out to the desert I will bring both and report back..    Let me know if you do the same..     

Okay, first off, I've been researching this bike a lot and have read a ton of threads on many different websites already. 

I just bought a new 2014 WR450F. I've taken the middle part of the exhaust pipe out, taken out the snorkel, and switched the throttle screw. I rode it up and down the street with the stock ecu and then switched it with the competition ecu. I couldn't tell a difference but I didn't get the bike high in the RPM's. Is that where is makes the difference? Also, any other information about this bike would be helpful. This is my first fuel injected bike so that is completely new to me. Thanks

ya, the comp ecu is there to allow you to mess with the mapping. it is similar to the stock ecu.  we all three have just purchased the same bike with in a few weeks, kind of funny. i did the comp ecu, snorkel removal and put on a fmf power core. fmf has a specific ecu map to use, but to be honest, not one single person on here will be able to tell the difference. unless your James Stewart complaining that the motor is revving at 11,456 when it should be 11,500 and need to change the mapping, ride the dang bike. only 5% of the dudes on t.v. can ride a 450 to its fullest, and there's no one on thumper talk in that category hahaha :moon:    

Edited by yamahadude93

^^^ Yeah, that statement is just ridiculous

I agree.  It is a quite noticeable difference.  The front end would not come up in 2nd or 3rd w/o the de-restriction, exhaust, and comp ECU.  After this, it power wheelies in second and almost in third.

I agree.  It is a quite noticeable difference.  The front end would not come up in 2nd or 3rd w/o the de-restriction, exhaust, and comp ECU.  After this, it power wheelies in second and almost in third.

I think he was talking about the bike being de-restricted and the difference between the comp ECU (un touched) and the stock ECU

Edited by broccoli2

Changing ECUs does not 'make the bike faster'

It's just like jetting: you cannot increase hp by changing jetting, unless it's pretty far off to begin with.

If you want more power, you increase mixture quantity (cam) mixture flow speed (head porting) ignition (timing)  compression (piston) and THEN and more fuel (remap)

An un-corked bike will run lean, and changing to the GYTR ECU will solve that....not improve 'performance'.

I agree. It is a quite noticeable difference. The front end would not come up in 2nd or 3rd w/o the de-restriction, exhaust, and comp ECU. After this, it power wheelies in second and almost in third.

I would like to see a wr450 pull a power wheelie with no clutch in second and third. Shoot, do it on pavement.

That post, in summary, was stating that doing the mods, aside from doing the ecu maps, is sufficient enough.

I think he was talking about the bike being de-restricted and the difference between the comp ECU (un touched) and the stock ECU

Thank you! Edited by yamahadude93

Thank you!

Your welcome

I would like to see a wr450 pull a power wheelie with no clutch in second and third. Shoot, do it on pavement.

I did not say it would do it in third...(you don't seem to comprehend posts do you?)  It will do it in second.

Edited by AtomicGeo

I did not say it would do it in third...(you don't seem to comprehend posts do you?) It will do it in second.

Sorry james Stewart, you're right.

I did not say it would do it in third...(you don't seem to comprehend posts do you?)  It will do it in second.

I have been away from this forum for a while. i think probably around 2009 or 10...     People sure are &%$#@!ing ass holes compared to back then!!!    What the &%$#@! Happened??

Changing ECUs does not 'make the bike faster'

It's just like jetting: you cannot increase hp by changing jetting, unless it's pretty far off to begin with.

If you want more power, you increase mixture quantity (cam) mixture flow speed (head porting) ignition (timing)  compression (piston) and THEN and more fuel (remap)

An un-corked bike will run lean, and changing to the GYTR ECU will solve that....not improve 'performance'.

This doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by Wristrockit

What, no way. uncorked and adding the GYTR ECU makes a huge difference over the stock ECU. If you can't fell the difference off the hit. There is something wrong or you put the same ECU back in. And yes mine would power the front end up in 3rd. Now you add some fuel and some timing to a map, will its just a different bike. The stock base map of the GYTR ECU has more fuel and timing than the stock lean EPA ECU. 

So we've only ridden this on pavement so far and it will do wheelies (no clutch) in second and third, easily. I don't know what you guys are talking about. 

I don't know if it has anything to do with me living at elevation (less power?), 7000ft.  Mine will wheelie only in second, but maybe it has to do with the fuel mapping at low rev.  I've been running this mellow map for trail riding:

0   0   0         0  0  0

-3  0  0         -5  -3  0

-3  -3  0       -5  -5  0

My 2013 is uncorked, with stock exhaust still.  When I switched to the comp ECU, before remapping I did not notice much of a difference.  That being said, when I remapped it, it's a very different bike.  I did not realize how flat the power was before; now it has the ability to scare me a little. (I also messed with the idle mix, for what that's worth)

The GYT ECU comes pre-programmed for an uncorked intake and a FMF full exhaust.

No it doesn't. The GYTR ECU comes with an all zeroes map, it is most certainly not the FMF map which adds both fuel and ignition. In fact, the stock map is terrible with an uncorked intake and FMF exhaust. I know cuz I've tried it. The all zeroes map pretty much sucks in general. Vlxjim's map is good compromise and great starting point, IMO.