Speedo

Hey,

Can anyone out there tell me who makes the best speedo for the WR ?

Picked up my bike last weekend, Received my Baja Designs Dual Sport kit. Haven't installed it yet... still too cold up here ?. I haven't checked local regulations yet but I think I'm required to run a speedo aswell. I've heard the name trailtech.

Any comments?

It depends on what you want to do with the bike. I ride enduros and hare scrambles and use an ICO Checkmate. It is a pricey unit but works great and is easy to program. If you are "blue" plating the bike in Ontario a speedo is not even required as per the Ontario Highway Traffic Act but I would strongly recommend it. If you are going to be "dual sporting" only the tourtech is a good unit to go with.

Willy Fitz

I have the Trailtech on both of my bikes and I am very pleased with them and have not had any problems. I use the billet protector and have it mounted on a "custom" bracket that's attached to the center of the upper triple clamp. It's easy to see while riding and the battery seems to last a long time. I purchased mine directly from their website.

Hey, yourself Gearbox,

Before my 03 WR 450 ever came in I ordered a stock speedometer for a (whatever the last year produced) XT350. I had to build my own mount but it hooks right up to the WR speedometer cable and has a light in it that I hooked up to my Trick Dualsport Kit.

I had had two Trailtech Units on my WR400 and both lasted about 3 or 4 months and then went tits up. After getting my third one from Trailtech I sold it here on TT to some rider in Michigan or Wisconsin,(one of those cold states). I never even opened the box. I have had NO problems with the analog speedo. It works great. The speedo cost $116.00. I'm sure you could get it cheaper at one of the online Yamaha parts places.

Jim ?

I paid $345 (US) for the WR kit. (plus shipping & brokerage)

A bit pricey but cheaper than buying 2 bikes.

Actually I just don't want to get nailed using a highway to get to a spot.

Before you buy the kit BE AWARE that you may need a stator rewind to get enough juice to support all of the lights.

I'm going to make a new post for this topic. Check it out.

Yeah, I did like 'jim-in-so-ore' and actually got a free used Yam DT200L/C speedo (same as the XT350's) adapted to my stock odometer mount, and it works well. ?

Oh and you do NOT need a speedometer to pass your safety check for licensing a motorcycle in Ontario.

• 10 months later...
Hey, yourself Gearbox,

Before my 03 WR 450 ever came in I ordered a stock speedometer for a (whatever the last year produced) XT350. I had to build my own mount but it hooks right up to the WR speedometer cable and has a light in it that I hooked up to my Trick Dualsport Kit. -----TEXT CUT OUT----- The speedo cost $116.00. I'm sure you could get it cheaper at one of the online Yamaha parts places.

Jim ?

Do you have any photos of it? I'd like to see :-)