HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gearbox

Speedo

11 posts in this topic

Hey,

Can anyone out there tell me who makes the best speedo for the WR ?

Picked up my bike last weekend, Received my Baja Designs Dual Sport kit. Haven't installed it yet... still too cold up here :). I haven't checked local regulations yet but I think I'm required to run a speedo aswell. I've heard the name trailtech.

Any comments?

It depends on what you want to do with the bike. I ride enduros and hare scrambles and use an ICO Checkmate. It is a pricey unit but works great and is easy to program. If you are "blue" plating the bike in Ontario a speedo is not even required as per the Ontario Highway Traffic Act but I would strongly recommend it. If you are going to be "dual sporting" only the tourtech is a good unit to go with.

Willy Fitz

I have the Trailtech on both of my bikes and I am very pleased with them and have not had any problems. I use the billet protector and have it mounted on a "custom" bracket that's attached to the center of the upper triple clamp. It's easy to see while riding and the battery seems to last a long time. I purchased mine directly from their website.

Hey, yourself Gearbox,

Before my 03 WR 450 ever came in I ordered a stock speedometer for a (whatever the last year produced) XT350. I had to build my own mount but it hooks right up to the WR speedometer cable and has a light in it that I hooked up to my Trick Dualsport Kit.

I had had two Trailtech Units on my WR400 and both lasted about 3 or 4 months and then went tits up. After getting my third one from Trailtech I sold it here on TT to some rider in Michigan or Wisconsin,(one of those cold states). I never even opened the box. I have had NO problems with the analog speedo. It works great. The speedo cost $116.00. I'm sure you could get it cheaper at one of the online Yamaha parts places.

Jim :)

I have had my trailtech (panoram) for a year now. No issues. But I do have the billet protection and I like removing it for washing. It unclips from the protector in seconds. I love the features and accuracy of this model. :)

I paid $345 (US) for the WR kit. (plus shipping & brokerage)

A bit pricey but cheaper than buying 2 bikes.

Actually I just don't want to get nailed using a highway to get to a spot.

Before you buy the kit BE AWARE that you may need a stator rewind to get enough juice to support all of the lights.

I'm going to make a new post for this topic. Check it out.

Yeah, I did like 'jim-in-so-ore' and actually got a free used Yam DT200L/C speedo (same as the XT350's) adapted to my stock odometer mount, and it works well. :)

Oh and you do NOT need a speedometer to pass your safety check for licensing a motorcycle in Ontario.

Thanks guys,

I think that i will do what Jim and Dom did the analog route with no light. It hooks up to my odo cable and i won't have to worry about powering it. One less thing to worry about.

Hey, yourself Gearbox,

Before my 03 WR 450 ever came in I ordered a stock speedometer for a (whatever the last year produced) XT350. I had to build my own mount but it hooks right up to the WR speedometer cable and has a light in it that I hooked up to my Trick Dualsport Kit. -----TEXT CUT OUT----- The speedo cost $116.00. I'm sure you could get it cheaper at one of the online Yamaha parts places.

Jim :cry:

Do you have any photos of it? I'd like to see :-)