Skid plate recommendation

Hi,

What skid plate would you recommend for a 14 yz450f?

I mostly ride on the track with it. I was looking at the lightspeed carbon fiber ones but it seems that they don't make them for the 2014.

Then I was looking at the acerbis and cycra. Are they any good?

Also what would you recommend as radiator guards?

Thanks

Blarf

Do have to take out 4 bolts to pull GYTR but really not that bad. I believe Acerbics is only three but the brackets that comes with their YZF skid plate are made of steel and they are heavy! The part that slips over the back of the frame is a riveted on steel bracket which I don't get as usually that part is molded as part of the skid plate? Even aluminum would have been better!

• 2 weeks later...

I just put an SXS UHMW skid plate on my '13. Its much lighter than aluminum and is still plenty tough. On the right side it covers not only the waterpump but also the radiator hose. Also, in the back it extends all the way back to the shock linkage where it acts as a glide plate.  It mounts to the three existing factory glide plate mounts and on the upper front it is held in place with HD zip ties. Seemed a little sketchy but after installing it I am completely satisfied.

IMG_5673.JPG

IMG_5678.JPG

IMG_5683.JPG

• Like 1

Put a Cycra full armor on mine.  Fits up nicely, which is surprising considering the line-up of their other products has been less than stellar.  A dab of silicone on the crossbar keeps it in place for quick install/removal when doing oil changes.  I don't notice any extra sound reflecting up from it either, unlike the metal skidplates.

I just put an SXS UHMW skid plate on my '13. Its much lighter than aluminum and is still plenty tough. On the right side it covers not only the waterpump but also the radiator hose. Also, in the back it extends all the way back to the shock linkage where it acts as a glide plate. It mounts to the three existing factory glide plate mounts and on the upper front it is held in place with HD zip ties. Seemed a little sketchy but after installing it I am completely satisfied.

Where did you find this skid plate, my google skills are failing me.

Where did you find this skid plate, my google skills are failing me.

He is just starting out with his manufacturing and I don't think he has a website yet...just a facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/SXS-Seehorns-Xtreme-Slideplate/595663850463171

Edit: Waltersobchak found his website: http://www.sxslideplate.com/

Jon is a solid guy, one of the classiest offroad racers you could ever meet. He is also one of the fastest guys in the NW, former six days rider and still competes in endurocross so he knows what's up when it comes to setting up bikes for offroad.

IMG_0388-XL.jpg

Edited by Wiz636
  • Like 1

He is just starting out with his manufacturing and I don't think he has a website yet...just a facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/SXS-Seehorns-Xtreme-Slideplate/595663850463171

Jon is a solid guy, one of the classiest offroad racers you could ever meet. He is also one of the fastest guys in the NW, former six days rider and still competes in endurocross so he knows what's up when it comes to setting up bikes for offroad.

Cool, I found a link to his website from his Facebook page-- sxslideplate.com. I think I'll be ordering one.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the GYTR and I'm not really happy with it.  It sticks out to far on the sides and doesnt hug the engine very tight.  it is made of heavy duty tin foil, and it is difficult to mount.  ill be replacing it as soon as i smash it up a little.

id really like to see some tm design skid plates if anyone has pics.  ive been happy with their products in the past.

Edit: Waltersobchak found his website: http://www.sxslideplate.com/

Jon is a solid guy, one of the classiest offroad racers you could ever meet. He is also one of the fastest guys in the NW, former six days rider and still competes in endurocross so he knows what's up when it comes to setting up bikes for offroad.

Agreed - Jon makes a great product, and he's a one of a kind dude.  His skills and endurance on a bike are impressive.

I have been dragging my feet on getting one for my 250F. I think I am going to go the WC route (for moto). I like the low-profile look of it. The Cycra seems cool but just looks so overkill for MX. But either way, when i look at my bike, it seems like there should've been one from the factory on these new 14+s. Maybe I'm just used to seeing the previous-gen bike.

Acerbis lacks coverage for offroad on the left and right sides.

Enduro Engineering is very thick and tuff, but also lacks on left and right side coverage and needs to be removed to change oil.

GYTR make a good plastic right side guard .. a good option to combine with an mx skid plate.

Cycra also has excellent coverage.

I wrapped my right rad hose with inner tube for some extra roost protection.

I've got the wc mx plate it fits really well looks good don't notice any noise and is more than solid enough to take anything you could throw at it, smashed it over about 10 logs last time I was out and I can't see any damageImageUploadedByThumper Talk1421474442.620903.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1421474488.512459.jpg