wr 250x or wr450f for learners?

ok, so. here is my situation:

i live in New Zealand and both of these bikes are learner approved. i cannot wait to get my license next year but i am stuck between these two bikes. i am going to convert these bikes to supermoto trim as soon as i get it.

Skill level: riding a kawasaki kl 140l that i thrash the living hell out of on enduro and cross country rides. i ride my dads honda trx 450r on the odd occasion and handle that alright with the odd sh** in my pants. im no motocross racer but i amaze myself sometimes. i do competitve mountainbiking if that makes a difference.

rider details: height 175cm (5foot8inches) (most likely 180 by the time im 16)

weight  54kg (119 pounds) (athletic build)

so, will the wr 450 be too much for me on the trails or will the 250 be too slow on the road? i know this might be a hard question to anwser but i would like to know what your guys opinions are.

thanks.

^^ I said I hadn't been on a dirt bike in 12 years, that is incorrect.

A few months ago I spent a couple hours (mostly highway) on a 2013 WR250R (helping a friend move).

I like that bike very much, but didn't want to buy a 250 knowing I could get a 450. So I searched and found a street legal 450 and that was all she wrote.

I just got back on a dirt bike after not owning one for 30+ years. I have a 2013 WR450F and LOVE it. Yes it's heavier than a 250, but I don't notice it unless I'm picking it up off the ground or loading it in the truck. Is it a good bike for a beginner? I say yes if you can touch the ground. This is one of the easiest bikes I've ever ridden (I work at a dealer so I'm on a few). I say go for it!

U guys are going to get this kid killed! The 450 is suitable for a guy around 160. He said he's 120! Get a 250. The weight difference will help ur riding, instead of trying to hold on for dear life!

+1 Develop good riding technique on something you can handle fairly easily. Your efforts will go into improving your riding skills rather than taming a beast.

• Like 1

I got my first bike this year with hardly any experience. I started off on a WR250R in January and adjusted quickly to the power.

When it was totalled friends convinced me to get a 450. Glad I listened.

In stock trim a WR450F isn't really THAT powerful.

The only time I've wrecked so far was my fault for not calling it quits when I was riding poorly without focus.

I got my first bike this year with hardly any experience. I started off on a WR250R in January and adjusted quickly to the power.

When it was totalled friends convinced me to get a 450. Glad I listened.

In stock trim a WR450F isn't really THAT powerful.

The only time I've wrecked so far was my fault for not calling it quits when I was riding poorly without focus.

The power is only one issue in developing good riding technique and "wrecking" should not be the bar of any measurement IMHO.

• Like 1

The power is only one issue in developing good riding technique and "wrecking" should not be the bar of any measurement IMHO.

The power is tamed stock, but its still a 450. And the weight IMO is the big thing. I believe its 270lbs? Picking that thing up when you weight 119, isn't going to be fun.

• Like 1

^I agree with Wadzi^ they aren't exactly crotch-rockets. But with enough patience and self-control, anyone can utilize the power of these bikes to be continously happy with the Wr's potential. Take time and slowly learn the bike away from the public and over time you will realize what is possible to know your limits and the bikes limitations with safety.

Most common things I have seen through my years; daredevils who want to have the baddest bike out there in a hurry, don't ride very long.

^I agree with Wadzi^ they aren't exactly crotch-rockets. But with enough patience and self-control, anyone can utilize the power of these bikes to be continously happy with the Wr's potential. Take time and slowly learn the bike away from the public and over time you will realize what is possible to know your limits and the bikes limitations with safety.

Most common things I have seen through my years; daredevils who want to have the baddest bike out there in a hurry, don't ride very long.

Agreed. Power is one trivial issue here IMO but the OP himself said that when he was on his dad's 450 he sometimes  had an "odd shit in his pants" (I am sure he was joking but the point is there was a difference to him) and others in the thread have made the case that there was an adjustment from 250 to 450. The development of good riding technique and competence in control points takes practice and patience like you say. My view as a smaller lighter rider (like the OP) is that there are a number of challenges to bigger heavier bikes when developing technique. Certainly all can be overcome with practice and patience and I love my wr450 and xr400s which aren't exactly lightweights. But show up at a Shane Watts session with a wr450 at 119lbs and my bet is that you'll have your work cut out for you though --but it can be done. 

Edited by Chaconne

The power is tamed stock, but its still a 450. And the weight IMO is the big thing. I believe its 270lbs? Picking that thing up when you weight 119, isn't going to be fun.

The WR450F is actually lighter than the WR250R/X.