HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Arizo

Another overheating thread

29 posts in this topic

I have a yz426f with an yz450f 06 carb. I rebuilded the carb since it had a vacum leak. Now it got fixed running great with a low idle.

I have pilot jet 48. 165 main. Needle at second clip starting from the bottom.

There is engine ice in the radiators with a catch up tank for the overflow.

Yesterday i drove 5km at high to medium speed and sometimes slow speed. When i came home the catch up tank was full and he started spitting.

The coolant lvl in the radiators i fill just above the fins so not to full i think.

It was raining and 9 degrees celcius outside so i think it may not boil over that quick at such cold temperature.

Ideas?

There is a good possibility that the head gasket is leaking.  This can be verified at a shop if they have the ability to test for combustion gasses in the cooling system. 

Ok. Well ill just replace it since i din't do that when i putted new piston rings. Thx :-)

:facepalm::banghead:

3 people like this

Yeah i know. I din't do it because they are kind off expensive. Thought it was still in good shape

Head gaskets are NEVER reusable.

The one exception is with solid copper gaskets thicker than 1mm.  They can usually be annealed and reused.  Steel sheet gaskets, whether of single or multiple sheet construction, will almost always fail to seal if reused.

1 person likes this

Yeah i know. I din't do it because they are kind off expensive. Thought it was still in good shape

32 dollars is expensive ,engine ice is expensive..   lesson learned

Yes but thats rlly expensive. I would rather instal a 4" spal fan with thermo switch then

if everything is running properly should not need either.  maybe try a higher pressure radiator cap.  good luck!

Edited by mdsharon

I don't care how "properly" it runs, if you go slow enough for long enough in warm weather, it will overheat without fans.  Granted that may take some time if everything is perfect, but eventually, it will.

2 people like this

I don't care how "properly" it runs, if you go slow enough for long enough in warm weather, it will overheat without fans. Granted that may take some time if everything is perfect, but eventually, it will.

Mine overheats quite easily with a little clutch work out in tight woods.

if everything is running properly should not need either. maybe try a higher pressure radiator cap. good luck!

Simply not true

I am considering a spal fan setup for when i am at a traffic light. But i do not know how much watts my stator delivers.

Its aftermarket but i did not put it in and there is no brand on it. The battery can hold my current setup but a fan draws more current i think

You can run small DC fans such as those from a computer chassis off of nothing more than a pair of 9v batteries for several hours.  If your bike has a battery on board, it should be no problem.

Mine overheats quite easily with a little clutch work out in tight woods.

Simply not true

agreed, just sayin I don't think you need a fan.

agreed, just sayin I don't think you need a fan.

I'll go to any length to extend the life of my engine, and Houston summers are miserable for bikes and humans, so anything I can do to keep my bike cooler will be done. Even if I think it might be overkill it's still worth it IMO. Edited by TX2StrokeMan
1 person likes this