HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rah7777777

How to test max amperage/wattage?

5 posts in this topic

Hello all, I recently bought an '06 WR450F that has a dual sport kit installed to make it street legal.

No clue what brand kit, so I don't know if I have 100 watts of juice or 200 or what?

Is there a way to test for max DC amperage or wattage?

I know whoever put the kit in did very poorly in the wiring department. Before I ever started the bike I tore every inch of wiring off the bike and re-wired it (except factory harnesses).

It had t-taps, wire nuts, wires just twisted and taped, wires just twisted and not taped, wires soldered by a kindergartner and nothing sized correctly. The brake circuit had a 18ga that went into a 22ga then to a 18ga and finally into a 24ga (maybe 26ga). It was a mess.

So anyhow is there a way to test max DC amperage or wattage and not fry anything?

I thought about having it warm up, hook an amp clamp on and just slowly add 10-20w worth of DC equipment at a time and see what it does. But I don't want to burn the charging system up. I don't know if it can operate at max output safely?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

If you load it to test max amperage output, do not do it slow.  You will fry something.  In automotive alternator testing we use a carbon pile load tester where you get the alternator up to speed and add the load quickly till the output peaks. 

It warms the alternator right up, but does test if it reaches max output.  For a load you could hook a couple headlights up to it briefly, or something similar.  Maybe jumper cables to your car with the headlights on high beam and heater fan running with the engine off?

Once you find the max output I wouldn't exceed 80-90% in actual accessories.

Ok. Thanks.

I've worked with cars for years (professionally) but the motorcycles charging system is a different beast. Wasn't sure the best way to try it.

I'll see what I can do.

Is like to run some heated grips, but if i only have 100w, that might be tough.

Ok. Thanks.

I've worked with cars for years (professionally) but the motorcycles charging system is a different beast. Wasn't sure the best way to try it.

I'll see what I can do.

Is like to run some heated grips, but if i only have 100w, that might be tough.

The WR's charging system is pretty marginal in stock form.  I doubt that you could get 100 watts out of it.  I installed a Ricky Stator stator and regulator rectifier on my 09.  They say it puts out 140 watts and that you can run 100 watts of light.  I have 70 watts of light and heated grips and it works fine.  

1 person likes this